Sprint's new WiMax to be called 'Xohm'
It rhymes with 'home'; execs to detail $3 billion network service Thursday
Sprint Nextel Corp.'s top executives tomorrow will roll out "Xohm" as the new name for Sprint's ambitious WiMax service, a spokesman said today.
"We are pursuing a new business model that is Internet-based, not telecom-based, and therefore will establish a new service brand" to be called Xohm, said Sprint spokesman John Polivka in an e-mail to Computerworld.
Polivka said the name Xohm rhymes with "home," started with a "Z" sound. "It is a product of extensive research," he added. "The X-factor makes it cool, research says."
Details on the announcement are expected tomorrow from Sprint CEO Gary Forsee and Chief Technology Officer Barry West, among others, at a conference called "Sprint Ahead: The Technology Summit" at the company's headquarters in Reston, Va.,
Polivka said Sprint's pact with Google Inc., announced in July, to collaborate on Internet services over the new WiMax network "is a significant proof point of [our] Internet strategy, and it is our intent to be not just a portal, but a destination as we mobilize the Internet."
Sprint has a long reputation for giving unusual names to services, reaching back many years to services such as ION, an acronym for Integrated On-demand Network.
However, the announcement for Xohm is clearly more than just a new name. Sprint's investment in WiMax is considered critical to its future, and analysts have noted Sprint's huge investment in the wireless technology as it evolves beyond traditional wireless and wired service offerings.
In addition to the Google collaboration, Sprint and Clearwire Corp. announced an agreement on July 19 to build the WiMax network in the U.S. The two companies said they plan to reach 100 million U.S. customers by the end of 2008, including businesses, consumers, government and public-safety agencies.
Sprint will build about 65% of the network, and Clearwire the remaining 35%. The partnership allows Sprint to invest less money to create a nationwide network, Forsee said at the time.Sprint executives said they expect their WiMax network to provide speeds at three to four times that of 3G wireless networks, somewhere in the range of 2Mbit/sec. to 4Mbit/sec. WiMax also operates over licensed spectrum, with fewer access points in a given area than Wi-Fi, which is unlicensed spectrum.
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise Endpoint Backup Checklist Read this checklist to learn how to create a back up strategy to quickly and easily protect your endpoint data.
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts