Microsoft trumps Google on free e-mail storage limit
But it's still far short of Yahoo's offer of unlimited storage
The limit for a free Windows Live Hotmail account will increase from 2GB to 5GB. The change will be rolled out to users over the next few weeks along with a series of other upgrades, wrote Ellie Powers-Boyle, a Microsoft program manager, on a company blog.
Google offers around 2.8GB of storage space for a free account. Last week, Google began selling storage space that can be used for either its Gmail or Picasa photo-sharing services for $20 a year for another 6GB. It also offers more expensive plans.
Under the new changes, Microsoft will let users store 10GB of e-mail data for a $14.99 annual subscription. Those subscribers will also get a new feature: the ability to forward e-mail from their Hotmail account to a Gmail or other e-mail account.
But users of the free service will only be able to forward e-mail from one Hotmail account to another Hotmail account, essentially blocking them from a quick migration to another free e-mail service.
Another new Hotmail option is the ability to shut off the "Today" feature, which shows top news and features stories on Microsoft's MSN portal. It appears after a user logs into his Hotmail account.
Microsoft is also changing some of Hotmail's security features. One new feature is a link, "Report phishing" that alerts Microsoft to a possible scam Web site linked to an e-mail.
Powers-Boyle also wrote that Microsoft is trying to make Hotmail run faster. The company will also increase the amount of time that messages are stored in the junk and deleted items folders before being automatically flushed, although no specific time period was given.
Other improvements include better performance for Hebrew and Arabic writers, a feature that stops the duplication of contact information and the ability to set an automated response.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- Mobile Content, Collaboration & IDC's 3rd IT Platform: The Next Frontier for the Mobile Enterprise IDC focuses this article on talks about the new IT platform. This 3rd IT Platform will be the new wave for about the...
- 2014 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup Software and Integrated Appliances Enterprise backup is among the oldest, most-performed tasks for IT professionals. Gartner provides analysis and evaluation of the leading providers that offer a...
- Data Warehousing: modern ecosystems for big data & analytics Five years ago, IBM observed that the planet was becoming more instrumented, interconnected and intelligent. Some 20,000 engagements later, here's what we've learned...
- IBM PureData System for Analytics compared with Teradata This report from ITG compares the cost and time to value of IBM PureData System for Analytics with that of Teradata DW Appliance...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Foundation You Need to Build a Better Storage Infrastructure Watch this webcast to hear how you can maximize the economics of your data center by modifying your storage footprint and power usage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts