Google Pack now offers Sun's StarOffice
The software, which normally costs $70, is free through the Pack
Computerworld - Google Pack, Google Inc.'s software download package, has added Sun Microsystems Inc.'s office suite, StarOffice 8, to its offerings. StarOffice, which Sun normally sells for $70, is free through Google Pack.
StarOffice 8 lets users create documents, spreadsheets and presentations. It supports most Microsoft Office formats, except for the new formats in Office 2007. It can also export documents as PDFs.
The Google Pack version of StarOffice integrates a Google Search tool bar in all of the StarOffice applications.A Google spokeswoman, via e-mail, today said the company added StarOffice to its software package as an optional application last Friday.
Google said it recommended using a broadband connection for faster installation because the file size is as much as 210MB, depending on the language. It could take up to several hours to download with a dial-up connection. However, because Google Updater will manage the download, users can still surf the Web and otherwise use their computers, Google said.
"It will be interesting to see why Google didn't choose to include OpenOffice.org, the primary difference between StarOffice and OpenOffice.org being that StarOffice includes some proprietary components like clip-art graphics, fonts, templates and tools for Microsoft Office migration," according to the Googlesystem blog, which covers news about Google.
Comments on the blog say that Google's decision to offer StarOffice instead of OpenOffice is related to the software distribution agreement the company signed with Sun in 2005.
Read more about Networking in Computerworld's Networking Topic Center.
- SharePlan Security SharePlan is a continuous, secure, enterprise-ready file sync and share platform that facilitates smart, real-time collaboration across all devices.
- Three Ways Your DNS Can Impact DDoS Attacks Domain Name System (DNS) plays a big role in consumers' day-to-day Internet usage and is a critical factor when it comes to distributed...
- 3 Reasons Why You Need Real User Web Performance Measurements Learn why a traditional (technical) understanding of website performance needs to be replaced with a competitive one, a model where performance equates to...
- The Winter Games - Your Way During the 2014 Winter Olympics, video streams from the Akamai network reached devices internationally. Learn how Akamai provided stream security and analytics capabilities...
- Online Video and Web Traffic: Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games Over 25 leading global broadcasters worked with Akamai to deliver the action, excitement and inspiration of Sochi because they understand online viewers expect...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts