Google Pack now offers Sun's StarOffice
The software, which normally costs $70, is free through the Pack
Computerworld - Google Pack, Google Inc.'s software download package, has added Sun Microsystems Inc.'s office suite, StarOffice 8, to its offerings. StarOffice, which Sun normally sells for $70, is free through Google Pack.
StarOffice 8 lets users create documents, spreadsheets and presentations. It supports most Microsoft Office formats, except for the new formats in Office 2007. It can also export documents as PDFs.
The Google Pack version of StarOffice integrates a Google Search tool bar in all of the StarOffice applications.A Google spokeswoman, via e-mail, today said the company added StarOffice to its software package as an optional application last Friday.
Google said it recommended using a broadband connection for faster installation because the file size is as much as 210MB, depending on the language. It could take up to several hours to download with a dial-up connection. However, because Google Updater will manage the download, users can still surf the Web and otherwise use their computers, Google said.
"It will be interesting to see why Google didn't choose to include OpenOffice.org, the primary difference between StarOffice and OpenOffice.org being that StarOffice includes some proprietary components like clip-art graphics, fonts, templates and tools for Microsoft Office migration," according to the Googlesystem blog, which covers news about Google.
Comments on the blog say that Google's decision to offer StarOffice instead of OpenOffice is related to the software distribution agreement the company signed with Sun in 2005.
Read more about Networking in Computerworld's Networking Topic Center.
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- Fixing Intermittent Performance Problems Intermittent performance problems are among the most frustrating and time-consuming issues IT administrators face. Read this white paper and learn how technology advances...
- 3G/4G Digital Signage Guide Today, the widespread availability of 3G and 4G cellular or wireless broadband networks enables digital signage to be deployed virtually anywhere.
- Live Webcast 5 Steps to Assuring Quality of Experience In order to align monitoring and management practices with the true demands of the business, IT professionals must expand beyond traditional comfort zones...
- Live Webcast Master the Changing SAP Landscape with Performance Management SAP landscapes are not getting simpler. Gradually, business processes that used to be contained on a single SAP system now involve a range...
- Navigating the New Wireless Landscape Thriving in the new wireless landscape View Now>>
- Deep Dive into Advanced Networking and Security with Hybrid Cloud Security and networking are among the top concerns when moving workloads to the cloud. VMware vCloud® Hybrid Service™ enables you to extend your... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!