Next-gen Razr flip phone ships soon from major carriers
Sprint does best on price at $249
U.S. wireless carriers announced today that they will soon be shipping Motorola Inc.'s second-generation Razr flip phone, with two carriers pushing their exclusive video content and Sprint Nextel Corp. saying it is the only model with video that's viewable on two screens, both inside and outside.
Sprint Nextel beat out Verizon Wireless and AT&T Inc. on price, saying the new Sprint MotoRazr2 V9m will cost $249 with a two-year service agreement at standard voice and data rates. The phone will be available from Sprint starting Aug. 22 online and Sept. 4 in stores. Verizon said the phone will cost $300 after a $50 rebate, with a two-year agreement, in early September. AT&T has a slightly different version, the V9, and wants $300 for two years, with the phone available next month.
Users can watch TV on the MotoRazr V9m with the cover closed.
Users can watch TV on the MotoRazr V9m with the cover closed. Sprint promoted its ability to combine MotoRazr2's video functionality with its high-speed Evolution Data Optimized network and exclusive video content. Sprint exclusive content will include NFL Mobile, which will feature same-day football audio and video highlights, a live stream of NFL Network broadcasts, statistics and other information.
In addition, Sprint TV has more than 50 channels of live television and on-demand video, and Sprint Music Store offers a selection of 1.6 million songs.
Verizon promoted its Vast Music downloading capabilities, while AT&T touted its Cellular Video on-demand service for access to exclusive HBO content and more.
The phone hardware provides a 2-megapixel camera, Bluetooth functionality and a lithium ion battery with about three hours of talk time. The internal and external screens on the MotoRazr2 are larger than the original Razr, at 2 in. for the external screen and 2.2 in. for the internal one, with twice the resolution.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts