Next-gen Razr flip phone ships soon from major carriers
Sprint does best on price at $249
U.S. wireless carriers announced today that they will soon be shipping Motorola Inc.'s second-generation Razr flip phone, with two carriers pushing their exclusive video content and Sprint Nextel Corp. saying it is the only model with video that's viewable on two screens, both inside and outside.
Sprint Nextel beat out Verizon Wireless and AT&T Inc. on price, saying the new Sprint MotoRazr2 V9m will cost $249 with a two-year service agreement at standard voice and data rates. The phone will be available from Sprint starting Aug. 22 online and Sept. 4 in stores. Verizon said the phone will cost $300 after a $50 rebate, with a two-year agreement, in early September. AT&T has a slightly different version, the V9, and wants $300 for two years, with the phone available next month.
Users can watch TV on the MotoRazr V9m with the cover closed.
Users can watch TV on the MotoRazr V9m with the cover closed. Sprint promoted its ability to combine MotoRazr2's video functionality with its high-speed Evolution Data Optimized network and exclusive video content. Sprint exclusive content will include NFL Mobile, which will feature same-day football audio and video highlights, a live stream of NFL Network broadcasts, statistics and other information.
In addition, Sprint TV has more than 50 channels of live television and on-demand video, and Sprint Music Store offers a selection of 1.6 million songs.
Verizon promoted its Vast Music downloading capabilities, while AT&T touted its Cellular Video on-demand service for access to exclusive HBO content and more.
The phone hardware provides a 2-megapixel camera, Bluetooth functionality and a lithium ion battery with about three hours of talk time. The internal and external screens on the MotoRazr2 are larger than the original Razr, at 2 in. for the external screen and 2.2 in. for the internal one, with twice the resolution.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- AIIM Trendscape: The New Mobile Reality This AIIM Trendscape report shares data, expert opinions, and a unique perspective on the impact of cloud and mobility in the enterprise, surfacing...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator...
- Technology for Everyone A Kansas school district modernizes teaching and learning and paves the way to a one-to-one program with a comprehensive upgrade of its wireless... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts