Hitachi first with Blu-ray camcorder
The company plans to put two on sale at the end of this month in Japan and later this year in North America
IDG News Service - Japan's Hitachi Ltd. looks like it will be first to market with a digital video camcorder based on Blu-ray Disc. The company said Thursday that it will put two on sale at the end of this month in Japan and later this year in North America.
The cameras will use a new variety of Blu-ray Disc that is 8 centimeters in diameter. Hitachi Maxell said it will put the 7.5GB discs on sale in August. The DZ-BD70 will be based solely on the discs and the DZ-BD7H is a hybrid model with 30GB hard disk drive.
A single-sided recordable (BD-R) or rewritable (BD-RE) disc can store about an hour of footage shot in full high-definition quality (1,920 by 1,080 pixels), said Hitachi. The hybrid model can store an additional four hours of high-definition video on its hard disk drive. The Blu-ray Disc recording uses the MPEG4 AVC/H.264 compression system and the cameras can also record standard definition MPEG2 video to 8cm DVD discs.
One-touch dubbing on the hybrid model facilitates easy transfer to Blu-ray Disc and a built-in transcoder can also record stored high-definition video in standard definition on a DVD.
The cameras have a 10X optical zoom lens, a 2.7-in. widescreen LCD monitor and a viewfinder. In addition to the video function, the cameras can also be used to take still images at up to 4.3 megapixel resolution (2,400 by 1,800 pixels).
Hitachi plans to launch both cameras in Japan on August 30. Hitachi hasn't fixed a price in Japan, but the cameras are already being advertised online. They will be available in North America in October and will cost $1,299 and $1,499, respectively.
The new cameras increase the number of media options consumers face when shopping for a high-definition camcorder. Already on sale are cameras that use either HDV tape, DVD disc, hard-disk recording or memory card recording.
Camcorder makers are fast developing high-definition models to match the fast growth of HDTV in many countries.
- An Insightful Approach to Optimizing Mainframe MLC Spend This paper discusses how you can penetrate the complexity of IBM mainframe MLC products and the MLC price model to gain insight into...
- Meeting the Exploding Demand for New IT Services In this eBook, explore the top trends driving the New IT for IT Service Management, and how leading organizations are evolving to focus...
- Hybrid IT-A Low-Risk Path from On-Premise to ITaaS This white paper provides a strategy to move part or all of your ITSM suite to the cloud as a stepping stone to...
- Paving the Windows XP Migration Path to Success Support for Windows XP has ended, leaving organizations with three choices: Windows 8, Windows 7 or a combination. With the right planning and...
- Increase Your Data Center IQ Discover how to improve network efficiency, lower IT costs and more proactively manage your physical, virtual and cloud environments.
- Optimize Data Center Resources and Plan for the Future Eliminate over-provisioning and capacity shortfalls with pro-active capacity optimization. Join us in the evolution from capacity monitoring to capacity optimization in your data... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts