CA sues Rocket Software for source code theft
CA demands $200M for alleged copyright infringement, theft of trade secrets
Computerworld - CA Inc. said today it is bringing a $200 million lawsuit against Rocket Software Inc., saying Rocket stole intellectual property related to CA database management software products.
The suit, filed late yesterday in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York, argues that Rocket, in Newton, Mass., infringed CA copyrights, stole trade secrets and practiced unfair competition.
A woman answering the phones at the corporate offices of Rocket said she was instructed to say that Rocket had no comment on the matter at this time.
"The facts here demonstrate blatant misappropriation by Rocket of CA's intellectual property," said Gary Brown, CA's director of litigation in a statement from CA. "We believe that Rocket's management not only condoned the conduct of its employees, but also made false and misleading statements to cover up this conduct. We will take all appropriate measures to protect our intellectual property."
In the 27-page complaint, CA said Rocket "knowingly and intentionally stole from CA the source code and development environment" to create many of Rocket's software tools for the IBM DB2 relational database management system. Rocket obtained the source code by hiring former CA programmers and developers or workers from Platinum Technology International Inc., which CA acquired in 1999, the complaint said. The complaint was signed by Scott Lindvall, an attorney for CA who is a specialist in patent law at the New York firm of Kaye Scholer LLP.
CA said Rocket continues to distribute DB2 tools that infringe CA's copyrights and that have defrauded CA of millions of dollars in the $1.4 billion DB2 software tool market. In addition to seeking damages of at least $200 million from Rocket, CA wants a judge to enjoin Rocket from further distribution of Rocket's database management software.
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts