Apple updates iPhone, beats researchers' deadline
Five-patch fix quashes bug that could make phone do hacker's bidding
Computerworld - Apple Inc. issued the first security update for the iPhone yesterday, beating an Aug. 2 deadline to fix a flaw researchers said could be used to steal data from the device or even force it to make calls or secretly record conversations.
The iPhone 1.0.1 update, which is delivered through Apple's iTunes software and doesn't show up in the usual Software Update panel in Mac OS X (even when the phone is connected to a Mac), fixes two flaws in the Safari browser -- one in WebCore and two in WebKit. WebCore is the part of the WebKit application framework that handles HTML rendering in the Mac operating system.
All five bugs are related to browsing, and include cross-site scripting and address-spoofing vulnerabilities. The two most dangerous vulnerabilities -- one in Safari, one in WebKit -- could be used by hackers to execute attack code on a vulnerable iPhone and possibly hijack the device. Although Apple does not rate vulnerabilities as Microsoft Corp. and other companies do, both of these bugs would rank as "critical" on most vendors' threat scales.
The critical Safari bug was first disclosed last week by a trio of researchers at Baltimore-based Independent Security Evaluators (ISE), who said then that they would provide more information on the vulnerability and their exploit code in a presentation Thursday afternoon at the Black Hat security conference.
In a paper posted to the Internet last week, the three stated that because the iPhone runs all network processes with full administrative privileges, hacking any application -- say Safari -- on the phone gives an attacker complete access to all data on the iPhone and its operating system's APIs.
IPhone users can wait out the update interval -- iTunes automatically checks Apple's update servers once a week -- or retrieve the patches manually by selecting "Check for Update" under the iTunes Help menu and then docking the iPhone to the PC or Mac.
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Alert Logic for PCI DSS Compliance To achieve PCI DSS compliance, you must identify and remediate all critical vulnerabilities detected during PCI scans. Threat Manager streamlines this process by...
- Cybersecurity Imperatives Reinvent Your Network Security With Palo Alto Networks The Rise of CyberSecurity
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts