Google Analytics in data blackout since Saturday
The company called the problem 'temporary'
IDG News Service - Google Inc.'s Analytics service stopped delivering data to users on Saturday, another in a series of recent performance and availability problems affecting the popular Web site traffic-monitoring service.
The latest problem remains unsolved and is apparently affecting all Google Analytics accounts, according to a message posted Monday afternoon by a Google employee in the official Google Analytics blog.
Google didn't immediately respond to a request for comment about the extent of what it called a "temporary reporting delay."
Users can log in to their accounts, but the data hasn't been updated since Saturday night. Although the data hasn't been delivered, it hasn't been lost, according to the Google blog posting.
Organizations of all sizes use the free Google Analytics to monitor traffic and analyze usage of their Web sites. Using the data collected by Google Analytics, Web publishers make decisions regarding their sites' design, content and ad space.
Last week, Google Analytics suffered what the company called a "brief processing delay". Another such delay hit the service during the July 14-15 weekend, affecting "a small percentage of users," Google said at the time.
The previous weekend, a server outage prevented "many" users from creating and logging into new accounts, according to Google. A significant data outage left many users fuming in late May as well.
Google Analytics got a major upgrade in early May and some users are wondering if the performance problems are a result of the changes made to the service back then.
In a discussion forum about this latest problem, a user wrote that Google Analytics worked better prior to the upgrade.
"I was comparing the two interfaces while they were side-by-side and the old interface consistently reported more quickly," the user wrote.
Another user had a similar opinion. "I have had bad stats ever since they switched to this new so-called improved version of analytics. For me it has been much slower to show activity and has not reported all the data my AdWords shows. I wish they would have just left things as they were," this user wrote.
- IDC Report: Optimize IT and Business Gains This IDC Whitepaper outlines how CIOs can understand what the "total cost of data" is across their entire organization and how Delphix can...
- Operationalizing the Buzz: Big Data 2013 The 2013 EMA/9sight Big Data research surveyed 259 business and technology stakeholders around the world.
- The Big Data Security Analytics Era Is Here New security risks and old security challenges often overwhelm legacy security controls and analytical tools.
- Building an Intelligence-Driven Security Operations Center The openness of today's networks and the growing sophistication of advanced threats make it almost impossible to prevent cyber attacks and intrusions.
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- Capturing Data in Motion: Delivering Real-Time Insight from Data Streams This webcast will help organizations of all types and sizes learn about a technology and business strategy for tapping into the wealth of... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!