What's the Best Broadband ISP?
There's little doubt as to the best U.S. broadband ISP, according to our readers -- Verizon FiOS wins by a wide margin. Overall, its users rated it at 4.4 out of 5, far better than the five other ISPs, which are bunched together in their ratings, with Cox Communications at a 3.9 rating, Time Warner at 3.8, AT&T and Verizon DSL tied at 3.7, and Comcast, the worst-rated ISP of all, at a lowly 3.5.
Breaking down the results by category, Verizon FiOS was either first or tied for first every time, and sometimes by a wide margin.
Where Verizon FiOS really stood out, though, was in connection reliability and speed. Its connection reliability was rated overall at 4.8, compared with runner-up Cox Communications at 4.3. Its download speed was rated 4.7, compared with runner-up Cox Communications at 4.2. Similarly, upload speed was rated at 4.5, compared with runner-up Cox Communications at 3.7.
Verizon FiOS 4.7
Cox Communications 4.2
Time Warner 4.1
Verizon DSL 3.8
Verizon FiOS 4.5
Cox Communications 3.7
Time Warner 3.5
Verizon DSL 3.5
This should come as no surprise; the Verizon FiOS connection provides dedicated service to homes via high-speed fiber-optic lines. With cable companies, you share your broadband with everyone on your node, and with DSL, you get a dedicated connection, but typically over copper cable for a slower connection. (See Fiber to the home: 'It's insanely better.'.)
What's the Best Broadband ISP?
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts