What's the Best Broadband ISP?
There's little doubt as to the best U.S. broadband ISP, according to our readers -- Verizon FiOS wins by a wide margin. Overall, its users rated it at 4.4 out of 5, far better than the five other ISPs, which are bunched together in their ratings, with Cox Communications at a 3.9 rating, Time Warner at 3.8, AT&T and Verizon DSL tied at 3.7, and Comcast, the worst-rated ISP of all, at a lowly 3.5.
Breaking down the results by category, Verizon FiOS was either first or tied for first every time, and sometimes by a wide margin.
Where Verizon FiOS really stood out, though, was in connection reliability and speed. Its connection reliability was rated overall at 4.8, compared with runner-up Cox Communications at 4.3. Its download speed was rated 4.7, compared with runner-up Cox Communications at 4.2. Similarly, upload speed was rated at 4.5, compared with runner-up Cox Communications at 3.7.
Verizon FiOS 4.7
Cox Communications 4.2
Time Warner 4.1
Verizon DSL 3.8
Verizon FiOS 4.5
Cox Communications 3.7
Time Warner 3.5
Verizon DSL 3.5
This should come as no surprise; the Verizon FiOS connection provides dedicated service to homes via high-speed fiber-optic lines. With cable companies, you share your broadband with everyone on your node, and with DSL, you get a dedicated connection, but typically over copper cable for a slower connection. (See Fiber to the home: 'It's insanely better.'.)
What's the Best Broadband ISP?
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization WAN optimization has evolved into a complete system that optimizes traffic across a broad range of most popular applications while providing deep visibility...
- SharePlan Security SharePlan is a continuous, secure, enterprise-ready file sync and share platform that facilitates smart, real-time collaboration across all devices.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Online Video and Web Traffic: Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games Over 25 leading global broadcasters worked with Akamai to deliver the action, excitement and inspiration of Sochi because they understand online viewers expect... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts