What's the Best Broadband ISP?
No. 6: Comcast
What can you say about Comcast's cable broadband service, other than that it's the big loser? It was at the bottom or near the bottom in most categories and rated near the top in none. Particularly damaging was its rock-bottom rating for value, below all other ISPs. Only 8% of customers gave it an excellent rating in that category, while 12% rated it very poor. In fact, it was the only broadband ISP that was rated very poor more often than excellent for value by its customers.
| Excellent: 27%
Very poor: 2%
no opinion: 0%
Very poor 13%
Not applicable/no opinion 6%
Very poor 11%
Not applicable/no opinion 8%
Very poor 2%
Not applicable/no opinion 18%
Value (Price vs. Performance)
Very poor 12%
Not applicable/no opinion 0%
As you might expect, customer comments about the service were mostly negative. Said one: "Really expensive. Poor customer service." Another chimed in, "The bigger they got, the less the tech support knows -- I called to ask a question and their support didn't know how to find an IP address!"
Quite a few people wrote to say that they came to Comcast not by choice, but because their previous broadband ISP was taken over by Comcast, or they have no other broadband alternative where they live. As part of a complex deal in which Time Warner and Comcast gained customers from the bankrupt Adelphia, some existing Time Warner customers were switched to Comcast, and some Comcast customers were switched to Time Warner.
Several Adelphia and Time Warner customers were especially unhappy with the changeover. Said one: "Since they took over from Adelphia, downloads and page loading [are] considerably slower. E-mail connections take at least two attempts to get into the server." Another added, "Recent changeover from Time Warner to Comcast has been a nightmare. Now we are getting a $10 per month increase to $49 for slower service than with Time Warner."
What's the Best Broadband ISP?
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization WAN optimization has evolved into a complete system that optimizes traffic across a broad range of most popular applications while providing deep visibility...
- SharePlan Security SharePlan is a continuous, secure, enterprise-ready file sync and share platform that facilitates smart, real-time collaboration across all devices.
- Three Ways Your DNS Can Impact DDoS Attacks Domain Name System (DNS) plays a big role in consumers' day-to-day Internet usage and is a critical factor when it comes to distributed...
- Online Video and Web Traffic: Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games Over 25 leading global broadcasters worked with Akamai to deliver the action, excitement and inspiration of Sochi because they understand online viewers expect...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts