What's the Best Broadband ISP?
The votes are in, and one service stands head and shoulders above the rest
Computerworld - In a world filled with outrageous offers and broken promises by broadband ISPs, who can you trust?
That's what Computerworld set out to discover. Like you, we've seen the brassy, glossy come-ons promising high speed, high quality and low prices ... and, like you, we've frequently been disappointed.
So we decided that we'd do a search to find the best broadband ISP in the U.S. by turning directly to the people who know best: you and other Computerworld readers. To do that, we conducted a monthlong online survey asking you to rate your Internet service provider in a variety of categories: overall satisfaction, connection reliability, download speed, upload speed, customer service, technical support, value (price vs. performance) and e-mail service. For each category, readers were given six choices: excellent, good, average, poor, very poor or not applicable/no opinion.
Then we tallied the results from our 1,163 respondents and came up with the winners ... and the losers. (For detailed information about the survey and our number-crunching, see How the Survey Was Conducted and Graded.)
We came up with more as well. Based on your answers, we've been able to create a snapshot of how people feel about their broadband ISP overall, and of how they use the service. We found, for example, that 58% of respondents use cable and 38% use DSL. Included in the DSL numbers are those who use fiber-optic FiOS connections. (Not everyone responded to that question, which is why the numbers don't quite add up to 100%.)
We also found that despite the hype, VoIP isn't exactly skyrocketing with broadband customers; only 27% of you are using it.
When it comes to whether broadband ISPs deliver on their high-speed promises, the answer is a resounding no -- only 20% said their ISP delivers on speed promises, while 64% said it doesn't, and 16% either didn't know or had no opinion.
Editor's note: Due to rounding, the percentages in this story's results charts don't always add up to exactly 100%.
What's the Best Broadband ISP?
What You Think About Broadband Service
Before we take an in-depth look at the overall winners and losers for best and worst broadband ISPs, we'll take a look at a snapshot of how, as a group, broadband ISPs rate with customers.
| Excellent: 32%
Very poor: 2%
no opinion: 1%
Here's the biggest shock: For all of your grumbling, and for all of the complaints lodged against broadband ISPs on message boards and blogs across the Internet, you're generally happy with your broadband providers. A full 73% of respondents rated their overall experience with their broadband ISP as either excellent or good (32% for excellent and 41% for good). Only 8% rated their experience as poor or very poor (6% and 2%, respectively), with 16% calling it average.
Standing out from the pack here was Verizon FiOS, with a whopping 94% giving it excellent or good ratings. Only 2% rated Verizon FiOS as poor, and 4% rated it average.
| Excellent: 46%
Very poor: 3%
no opinion: 0%
Here's another surprise -- despite the whining we all do (yours truly included) about unreliable connections, on the whole we're pretty happy with the reliability of our broadband connections.
Some 79% of you rated your connection reliability as being excellent (46%) or good (33%), with only 8% rating it poor (5%) or very poor (3%). The remaining 13% rated it average.
Once again, Verizon FiOS ruled the roost, with an amazing 96% rating it excellent or good (86% and 10%, respectively). Only 2% rated it poor, and 2% rated it average.
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Live Webcast 5 Steps to Assuring Quality of Experience In order to align monitoring and management practices with the true demands of the business, IT professionals must expand beyond traditional comfort zones...
- Live Webcast Master the Changing SAP Landscape with Performance Management SAP landscapes are not getting simpler. Gradually, business processes that used to be contained on a single SAP system now involve a range...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Navigating the New Wireless Landscape Thriving in the new wireless landscape View Now>> All Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!