Google's YouTube unit dominates online video business
Nearly 75% of Internet users watched streaming videos in May, report says
The average U.S. Internet user watched more than 2.5 hours of video online during the month, according to the ComScore Video Metrix report.
Sites run by Google Inc. topped the monthly rankings with the most unique video streamers and the most video streamed, the report said. Google sites grabbed 21% of all video streams in May, or 1.8 billion videos -- 1.7 billion from Google subsidiary YouTube.com.
Fox Interactive Media Inc. ranked second, with 680 million streams, or 8% of the total, followed by Yahoo Inc. sites, with 387 million streams, or 4%, and Viacom Digital, with 237 million streams, or 2%. In all, Americans viewed more than 8.3 billion streaming videos online in May, ComScore said.
Google's streaming video audience totaled 64 million unique streamers, nearly half of the 132 million Americans who viewed online video streams in May, according to ComScore's research. Fox garnered 52 million unique streamers, with Yahoo pulling in 35 million, the report went on to note.
The average video stream was 2.5 minutes, with the average online video viewer consuming 653 video streams or more than two per day, ComScore said.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization WAN optimization has evolved into a complete system that optimizes traffic across a broad range of most popular applications while providing deep visibility...
- SharePlan Security SharePlan is a continuous, secure, enterprise-ready file sync and share platform that facilitates smart, real-time collaboration across all devices.
- Three Ways Your DNS Can Impact DDoS Attacks Domain Name System (DNS) plays a big role in consumers' day-to-day Internet usage and is a critical factor when it comes to distributed...
- Online Video and Web Traffic: Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games Over 25 leading global broadcasters worked with Akamai to deliver the action, excitement and inspiration of Sochi because they understand online viewers expect...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts