Google's YouTube unit dominates online video business
Nearly 75% of Internet users watched streaming videos in May, report says
The average U.S. Internet user watched more than 2.5 hours of video online during the month, according to the ComScore Video Metrix report.
Sites run by Google Inc. topped the monthly rankings with the most unique video streamers and the most video streamed, the report said. Google sites grabbed 21% of all video streams in May, or 1.8 billion videos -- 1.7 billion from Google subsidiary YouTube.com.
Fox Interactive Media Inc. ranked second, with 680 million streams, or 8% of the total, followed by Yahoo Inc. sites, with 387 million streams, or 4%, and Viacom Digital, with 237 million streams, or 2%. In all, Americans viewed more than 8.3 billion streaming videos online in May, ComScore said.
Google's streaming video audience totaled 64 million unique streamers, nearly half of the 132 million Americans who viewed online video streams in May, according to ComScore's research. Fox garnered 52 million unique streamers, with Yahoo pulling in 35 million, the report went on to note.
The average video stream was 2.5 minutes, with the average online video viewer consuming 653 video streams or more than two per day, ComScore said.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- A Reference Architecture for the Internet of Things The aim of this is to provide Architects and Developers of IoT projects with an effective starting point that covers the major requirements...
- Adding WOW to the WAN WAN optimization techniques tweak bandwidth for better network performance and more.
- WAN Sizzle With a shift in traffic patterns from recent trends like virtualization, mobility and cloud - IT organizations need to get more effective usage...
- Optimizing the Network The network has become a utility that users can't do without. Mobility and bandwidth-hungry apps demand faster and more efficient networks.
- Technology for Everyone A Kansas school district modernizes teaching and learning and paves the way to a one-to-one program with a comprehensive upgrade of its wireless...
- Deep Dive into Advanced Networking and Security with Hybrid Cloud Security and networking are among the top concerns when moving workloads to the cloud. VMware vCloud® Hybrid Service™ enables you to extend your... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!