Find it faster: PersonalBrain app links obscure data
3-D software can help users better organize computer files
Computerworld - Imagine being able to find a piece of obscure information on your hard drive quickly instead of having to remember where you saved it, because it's dynamically linked to related bits and pieces that more easily come to mind.
That's the idea behind PersonalBrain, a 3-D information visualization and organization application from TheBrain Technologies LP. The company today unveiled Version 4.0 of the application, which for the first time runs on Mac OS X and the Linux operating system.
PersonalBrain allows users to link pieces of digital information, whether it's a document, name, company, fact, Web page, idea, concept or some other snippet of information. PersonalBrain's ability to link ideas and information can eliminate the need to search through traditional folder and file hierarchies in computer storage systems. Imagine a turbocharged 3-D family tree, with links in various directions that allows a user to drill down deeper or pull back for a more generalized view.
Harlan Hugh, CEO of the Marina Del Rey, Calif.-based vendor and the inventor of PersonalBrain, said the application makes it easier for users to store information they will need to retrieve again at a later date -- without having to spend a long time searching for it. "I can do the work as I'm working" by saving collected information and linking it to related information so it's easily accessible in the future, Hugh said. An ESP Sync function allows PersonalBrain to track what a user is doing in another application, such as a Web browser, and then offer up existing links to related information in PersonalBrain.
With PersonalBrain, a user doesn't have to know exactly where to look or even exactly what he's looking for, because linkages can be uncovered by searching for more general and easily remembered information.
Version 4 of the software, which debuted in 1996, includes 65 new features and improvements, including advanced search, expanded views, zoomable icons and themes, and HTML exporting capabilities to share PersonalBrain with other users, according to the vendor.
Conrad Clyburn, a partner in The Clymer Group LLC, a medical technology consultancy in Silver Spring, Md., said he has been using PersonalBrain for four years to better organize his work. It did take some time to create a framework, he said, but once he began adding the information and building its connections, "for me, it became like breathing in and breathing out. Once you get to that level, it's an incredibly dense and powerful tool."
Using PersonalBrain, Clyburn said he can gather information on any topic and bring together useful snippets that aren't available through a Google search of the Web.
- Seattle Children's Accelerates Citrix Login Times by 500% with Cross-Tier Insight Seattle Children's is a leading research hospital with a large and growing Citrix XenDesktop deployment. With ExtraHop, the IT team at Seattle Children's...
- McKesson Makes Application Hosting for Hospitals Faster, More Efficient With ExtraHop, McKesson identified the root cause of slow Citrix XenApp application launches and adopted a more intelligent, proactive IT operations model that...
- A Non-Geek's Big Data Playbook A visual playbook for the non-geek yet technically savvy business professional who is still trying to understand how big data impacts the enterprise...
- Reducing Expenses Starts with the Programming Skills of Operations Groups Reducing expenses can start with the programming skills of operations groups. Read this article to learn how to improve the bottom line, and...
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- Capturing Data in Motion: Delivering Real-Time Insight from Data Streams This webcast will help organizations of all types and sizes learn about a technology and business strategy for tapping into the wealth of... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!