Find it faster: PersonalBrain app links obscure data
3-D software can help users better organize computer files
Computerworld - Imagine being able to find a piece of obscure information on your hard drive quickly instead of having to remember where you saved it, because it's dynamically linked to related bits and pieces that more easily come to mind.
That's the idea behind PersonalBrain, a 3-D information visualization and organization application from TheBrain Technologies LP. The company today unveiled Version 4.0 of the application, which for the first time runs on Mac OS X and the Linux operating system.
PersonalBrain allows users to link pieces of digital information, whether it's a document, name, company, fact, Web page, idea, concept or some other snippet of information. PersonalBrain's ability to link ideas and information can eliminate the need to search through traditional folder and file hierarchies in computer storage systems. Imagine a turbocharged 3-D family tree, with links in various directions that allows a user to drill down deeper or pull back for a more generalized view.
Harlan Hugh, CEO of the Marina Del Rey, Calif.-based vendor and the inventor of PersonalBrain, said the application makes it easier for users to store information they will need to retrieve again at a later date -- without having to spend a long time searching for it. "I can do the work as I'm working" by saving collected information and linking it to related information so it's easily accessible in the future, Hugh said. An ESP Sync function allows PersonalBrain to track what a user is doing in another application, such as a Web browser, and then offer up existing links to related information in PersonalBrain.
With PersonalBrain, a user doesn't have to know exactly where to look or even exactly what he's looking for, because linkages can be uncovered by searching for more general and easily remembered information.
Version 4 of the software, which debuted in 1996, includes 65 new features and improvements, including advanced search, expanded views, zoomable icons and themes, and HTML exporting capabilities to share PersonalBrain with other users, according to the vendor.
Conrad Clyburn, a partner in The Clymer Group LLC, a medical technology consultancy in Silver Spring, Md., said he has been using PersonalBrain for four years to better organize his work. It did take some time to create a framework, he said, but once he began adding the information and building its connections, "for me, it became like breathing in and breathing out. Once you get to that level, it's an incredibly dense and powerful tool."
Using PersonalBrain, Clyburn said he can gather information on any topic and bring together useful snippets that aren't available through a Google search of the Web.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Who's afraid of the big (data) bad wolf? Survive the big data storm by getting ahead of integration and governance functional requirements This paper provides a detailed review of the best practices clients should consider before embarking on their big data integration projects.
- Understanding big data so you can act with confidence Automating information integration and governance and employing it at the point of data creation helps organizations boost confidence in their big data.
- Integrating and Governing Big Data The end-to-end information integration capabilities of IBM® InfoSphere® Information Server are designed to help organizations understand, cleanse, monitor, transform and deliver data-as well...
- The MDM advantage: Creating insight from big data To help enterprises create trusted insight as the volume, velocity and variety of data continue to explode, IBM offers several solutions designed to...
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- The Software-Defined Data Center: Is your ADC ready? Data center transformation is accelerating beyond virtualization to next-generation cloud architectures and software-defined data centers, bringing new challenges for application performance, scalability and...
- Application Acceleration: Optimize the End-User Experience Watch this on-demand webcast and learn how you can optimize your web content, accelerate performance across any device and browser combination, and offload... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts