FileMaker bucking enterprise trend with latest version
Clean it up, pare it down
Computerworld - For most database vendors, the temptation to add powerful features to new versions, even if it means sacrificing ease of use, is hard to resist.
Not so at FileMaker Inc., the maker of the popular desktop database of the same name.
"Our niche is our niche. We'd rather make our software easier to install and use than to make it powerful enough to support 10,000 concurrent users," said Jon Sigler, vice-president for product management at the Santa Clara, Calif., subsidiary of Apple Inc.
Version 9 is the latest iteration of FileMaker, released Tuesday, offers 30 new enhancements that the company very pointedly avoids calling features, instead referring to them as "ease-of-use breakthroughs."
"We're letting Oracle, Microsoft and MySQL build those big iron systems, while we make it easy for users to generate reports from that data," Sigler said.
Version 9 also introduces a PHP Site assistant to help non-programmers use FileMaker as a back end for dynamic database-driven Web sites.
The Admin Console has also been rewritten to make it easier for users of the FileMaker Pro edition to set up and administer server software.
First introduced as a DOS product in the mid-1980s before being acquired by Apple in 1989, more than 13 million copies of FileMaker have been shipped in its 20-plus year history, according to Sigler. Aimed to be simple enough for regular knowledge workers to use, FileMaker can support up to 250 concurrent users in a workgroup.
It runs on both Mac OS X and Windows systems, including Vista.
Eight out of 10 FileMaker users are not database administrators, Sigler said.
"Everything we do is based on serving the knowledge worker," he said.
Version 9 comes in four different flavors, ranging in U.S. list retail price of $299 for the a new copy of FileMaker Pro 9, to $999 for FileMaker Server 9.
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts