Laptop PC sales hit records in June after Santa Rosa lull
Market surges after wait for the new Intel chips
Computerworld - TAIPEI, Taiwan -- Laptop PC shipments by two of the world's largest contract makers surged in June, rebounding from a lull in April and part of May as system makers awaited the launch of Intel Corp.'s Santa Rosa laptop chips, an upgrade to its popular Centrino package.
Quanta Computer Inc. said it shipped 2.8 million laptops in June, up sharply from 2.4 million in May and 2.2 million in April. Taiwanese rival Compal Electronics Inc. shipped 1.77 million laptops in June, its third-highest figure for a single month, and up from 1.65 million in May and 1.70 million in April.
The stronger shipments show the laptop market has surged again after system makers and users awaited the new Intel chips. Market researchers had expected users to upgrade to new laptop PCs after the launch of Santa Rosa, when they could pick up the latest laptop PC hardware along with the Windows Vista OS.
Intel launched its fourth-generation Centrino wireless chip package on May 9, abandoning the Santa Rosa code name in favor of its marketing names, Centrino Duo and Centrino Pro.
The package of chips increases wireless Internet and processing speeds in notebook PCs when compared to the previous Intel Centrino package.
The Duo and Pro versions both come with Intel dual-core microprocessors, but the Centrino Pro is targeted at laptops for business users. It carries Intel vPro software, which helps corporate IT departments manage fleets of laptop PCs.
At the time, Intel said it expected more than 230 new laptop and desktop PCs to be built around the new chip package this year.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts