Security gateway goes open source for all
Untangle moves beyond previous 10-seat limit
Network World - Untangle has made its open-source security software available free for download to network managers supporting environments of all sizes.
Late last year Untangle, previously named Metavize, offered open-source security software code only for customers with 10 or fewer employees. Now the company's Untangle Gateway Platform is available free for download to all potential customers.
The software, which includes a dozen network-security applications, is best when installed on a dedicated server, and the company sells appliances if customers are interested. But Untangle CEO Bob Walters says his company, founded in 2003, will make its money off of support packages instead of software sales.
"Open source is paving the way of the future. Customers will pay for support and services, but software will be free," he says. With hundreds of SMB customers under its belt, Untangle plans to expand its business to serve a larger audience by making its software free for an unlimited time and offering users the chance to upgrade to an enterprise version of the platform. "The free version is ideal for customers with 50 users or less, and requires some basic network-administration skills," Walters says.
Included in the free open-source platform are antispam, antivirus, antispyware, antiphishing and attack-blocker applications, as well as Web filter, intrusion-prevention, firewall, router, VPN and protocol-control technologies. The download includes reporting capabilities. Untangle tapped 30 open source projects to build its platform, Walters says, including SpamAssasin, ClamAV, and Snort.
Walters is confident the open-source software will send appliance-making such competitors as SonicWall, Barracuda and WatchGuard running, because the Untangle Gateway Platform consolidates multiple functions in one download.
"To my knowledge, the only other open-source options available are point products. We included the critical features in one download," he says.
The Untangle Gateway Platform is available as a free download on SourceForge under the GNU General Public License Version 2 (GPLv2) license. Live support and premium extensions are available from the vendor starting at $25 per month. Customers can purchase appliances from Untangle on which to run the open-source software starting at about $1,000.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Securing BYOD Mobile computing is becoming so ubiquitous that people no longer bat an eye seeing someone working two devices simultaneously. Individuals and organizations are...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts