High-speed SAS hard drive growth set to explode
Will cause sharp decline in shipments of Ultra320 SCSI drives, Gartner says
The demand for Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) hard disk drives continues to pick up steam, fueling predictions by Gartner Inc. that 21 million 3Gbit/sec. SAS drives will ship during 2008, nearly double the 12 million expected to ship this year.
The Dataquest Inc. report said users are turning to the new technology as its performance levels skyrocket -- the Gartner research unit said it expects the 3Gbit/sec. speed limit today to grow to 6Gbit/sec. by the end of 2008.
By the end of this year, the report predicts that 3Gbit/sec. SAS will displace Ultra320 SCSI as the hard disk drive interface in standard high-volume servers and multiuser storage applications.
Interestingly, the Gartner study showed that 16 million drives based on older Ultra320 I/O technology shipped in 2006, nearly triple the 4.15 million shipments of SAS drives. Shipments of Ultra320-based drives will decline sharply to 9.6 million units this year, the report predicts.
Marty Czekalski, a spokesman for the San Francisco-based SCSI Trade Association, said SAS hard disk drives will likely burrow deep into IT environments this year as IT managers look for increasingly complex scalability, energy savings and sustained drive performance for their growing stable of blade servers. For example, he said the new storage technology supports the IT trend of building clusters of computing resources featuring a shared storage pool, as well as networked and tiered storage environments.
The Gartner report also found 7.6 million Fiber Channel Arbitrated Loop (FC-AL) devices shipped during 2006, and 1.14 million Parallel Advanced Technology Attachment units were delivered last year.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- Data Protection eGuide In this eGuide, CSO and sister publications IDG News Service, Computerworld, and CIO pull together news, trend, and how-to articles about the increasingly...
- Data Viz: 7 Considerations for Visualization Deployment Rising data volumes and increasing data complexity can make it seem hard to find and disseminate important information. Read this white paper to...
- Mobile Content, Collaboration & IDC's 3rd IT Platform: The Next Frontier for the Mobile Enterprise IDC focuses this article on talks about the new IT platform. This 3rd IT Platform will be the new wave for about the...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Next Generation of Affordable Storage As data needs continue to grow and capacity expansion becomes a necessity, companies of all sizes have to address the delicate balance between... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts