Pentagon e-mail system hacked
The Defense Department had to take 1,500 accounts offline
Computerworld - About 1,500 unclassified e-mail users at the Pentagon had their service disrupted yesterday when a hacker infiltrated the e-mail system, forcing the accounts to be taken offline.
In a briefing today with reporters in Washington at the Pentagon, Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates confirmed the incident and said that the users were disconnected from the system after the intrusion was discovered.
"The reality is that the Defense Department is constantly under attack," Gates said during the briefing. "Elements of the [Office of the Secretary of Defense] unclassified e-mail system were taken offline yesterday afternoon, due to a detected penetration. A variety of precautionary measures are being taken. We expect the system to be online again very soon."
Gates said that his office "obviously [has] redundant systems in place, and there is no anticipated adverse impact on ongoing operations. There will be some administrative disruptions and personal inconveniences. It will come as no surprise that we aggressively monitor intrusions and have appropriate procedures to address events of this kind. But as I say, we get perhaps hundreds of attacks a day."
Gates said that he was not sure why the 1,500 users were removed temporarily from the system. "Well, I don't know the answer to that, and they're still investigating it."
Gates said he doesn't use e-mail, so he didn't know if his account was affected.
"I don't do e-mail," he said. "I'm a very low-tech person."
A spokesman at the Department of Defense late this afternoon said he had no additional information about the incident.
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- Single-Vendor Security Ecosystems Offer Concrete Benefits Over Point Solutions IT security decision-makers from companies with 100 to 5,000 employees evaluates the current endpoint security solution market based on Forrester's own market data,...
- Case Study: Intuit Turns to Self-Service IT Intuit empowered its users to resolve their own IT issues with a consumer-like experience to free IT to focus on more strategic initiatives....
- Automation for a Better Tomorrow Check out the five most common annoyances facing enterprise IT service desks today, and how automation can resolve all of them. Download the...
- Beyond the Enterprise App Store Leverage proactive, secure and automated IT Service delivery to move beyond the traditional App Store and empower your users. Read the white paper...
- Business-driven data protection Setting up data protection infrastructures with your organizations' core mission or business in mind is key. In this webinar, the ARCserve team will...
- On-Demand Webinar: Mind the Gap! Watch the webinar featuring Bob Janssen, CTO and Co-Founder of RES Software, to start building a solid foundation for business and IT to... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!