Apple subdues solo IPv6 bug
10-4: Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.10, first-ever dot-10 upgrade
Computerworld - Apple Inc. today released Mac OS X 10.4.10 to patch a single security vulnerability and address several issues in Bluetooth and USB, add RAW image support for eight new cameras, and fix a decimal rounding error.
The update patches the IPv6 protocol's handling of type 0 routing heads, which if exploited by an attacker, could degrade network performance, Apple said in a short alert. Only Mac OS X 10.4.x versions are affected by the bug.
Other changes bundled with 10.4.10 make sure the operating system correctly deletes Bluetooth headsets from the available list when it's been removed from preferences, resolves corruption problems in DNG images, and improves the reliability of mounting external USB hard drives. It also adds RAW support for several digital Panasonic, Leica, Fuji, Nikon, and Canon cameras; fixes calendar calculation errors; and corrects a decimal rounding error Apple said appear in unspecified "some applications."
The update -- which ranges from 25MB for the PowerPC client to 391MB for the universal Server edition -- can be downloaded from Apple's site, or retrieved using Software Update. As of Wednesday, 8:00 p.m. EDT, only a handful of users on Apple's support forums had posted messages detailing problems with the update.
Several Apple bloggers and enthusiast sites have noted that this is the first time Apple has turned out a tenth version of an operating system. Chatter about a dot-10 for Tiger started two months ago, when Apple announced it would delay 10.5, a.k.a. Leopard, until October because it needed to shift development resources to the iPhone.
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!