First look: The new MacBook Pro 17, now with hi-res screen
Indeed. Usually when reviewing a product, I come across a design flaw or issue that gives me pause. Not so this time, at least not yet. That doesn't mean this MBP is perfect. Given the top-notch hi-res screen, the ability to show off high-def video -- at 1080p, no less -- I find myself wanting more than the 8x SuperDrive that comes standard. I'd like to see a Blu-ray drive installed, so that I could play the Blu-ray DVDs I already have and really enjoy true high-definition video. (Yes, I popped a Blu-ray disc in to see what would happen. After a few seconds of spinning, the disc popped out. Bummer.)
It took Apple two years after I first started wishing for a high-resolution screen to deliver just what I wanted. I'm hoping it won't be that long before Blu-ray makes an appearance. Until then, I'll just have to make do with what, in my opinion, is the best laptop Apple has ever made.
Related News and Discussion:
- Mac vs. PC cost analysis: How does it all add up?
- Making the switch: A PC guy goes Mac
- Shark Bait: Apple's mobile phone: A must-have product, or will it go the way of the Newton?
- Sound Off: Is the Mac a "viable alternative for real people with real jobs"?
- Ken Mingis: Mac users 'unbearably smug' about security?
- Joyce Carpenter: Mac OS X better than Vista which is better than XP which is better than ...
Read more about Macintosh in Computerworld's Macintosh Topic Center.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014 Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Macintosh White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!