Scottrade's new data center: Redundant everything
Online trading firm moves up to new IT quarters to avoid downtime
Computerworld - REJIS isn't the only St. Louis-based organization that has relocated its IT operations to a new data center this spring. Online trading company Scottrade Inc. recently completed a move of its own to a new $25 million IT facility.
"This wasn't as much a move as it was a revamping of the technology," Patterson said. "We actually redesigned the entire network core and all the infrastructure on the trading floor. It was a greenfield approach."
The 34,000-square-foot data center boasts a 10 Gigabit Ethernet backbone, versus Gigabit Ethernet in the old facility, and the PowerEdge blade servers that support Scottrade's trading floor have been upgraded to Dell Inc.'s so-called 9th Generation models. The raised-floor portion of the facility comprises about 11,000 square feet, large enough to hold about 100 people in addition to all the systems, Patterson said.
The data center includes exterior security cameras that prescreen visitors, while internal security measures include the use of card keys, motion-activated surveillance cameras and biometric palm scanners.
The facility also features fully redundant electrical and cooling systems. Two liquid chillers do the cooling, with a third that can be added if the raised-floor portion of the data center ever needs to be expanded, Patterson said. Dual-power feeds are connected to each server rack, and some have quadruple electricity hookups. In addition, each of Scottrade's two backup generators can support the entire data center if the other goes down.
Because of the situation with the electrical grid in St. Louis, Scottrade wasn't able to tap into multiple power suppliers -- a common strategy in some data centers. "That's why we went with dual generators and a battery backup system," Patterson explained. "Our battery system is rated for seven minutes but in testing [ran] for 10. And our generators take about one-and-a-half minutes to power up, so we're covered."
Another improvement is the addition of a loading dock that includes a large storage area, plus an equipment burn-in room directly between the dock and the data center. "In the old facility, we didn't have enough dock space to get new products in, so we made sure to improve that flow," Patterson said.
The new data center is located about 8 miles away from the old one, so personnel issues weren't an issue in the move. Patterson said that the upgraded facility was needed to avoid trading downtime and latency, and that it should be able to handle Scottrade's processing requirements for the next five years.
- Data Center Projects: Project Management The project management model described in this paper is a framework to show essential characteristics that must be considered in any implementation of...
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- Magic Quadrant for Data Masking Technology IBM is a leader in Gartner Inc's Magic Quadrant for Data Masking Technology. Read the full report to learn about IBM.
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few. All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!