IBM starts testing next version of 'Viper' database
Beta of DB2 9 upgrade adds new workload management and auditing features
DB2 Viper 2, the next release of DB2 9 for Linux, Unix and Windows servers, adds new workload management tools for improved query governance and monitoring, auditing capabilities for regulatory compliance purposes, and security and high-availability features, according to a blog posting Monday by Chris Eaton, an IBM product manager.
The planned upgrade also includes simplified memory management and enhancements to the data compression features already available in DB2 9, Eaton wrote.
IBM released DB2 9, code-named Viper, last July. At the time, IBM touted the database's ability to natively store both relational data and unstructured XML content, such as audio, video and Web pages.
Bolstered by its purchase of Informix Corp.'s database technology in 2001, IBM stole the database market-share crown from Oracle Corp. that year. Since then, however, Oracle has regained and steadily increased its lead.
Despite the release of Viper, figures released publicly this week by Gartner Inc. showed Oracle controlling 47.1% of the worldwide relational database market last year, with IBM holding 21.1% -- down from 22.1% in 2005.
Read more about Databases in Computerworld's Databases Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The value of smarter oil and gas fields With global energy requirements continuing to rise, the exploration, development and production of new oil and gas resources are shifting to increasingly challenging...
- Smarter Environmental Analytics Solutions: Offshore Oil and Gas Installations Example This IBM Redbooks® Solution Guide describes a solution for implementing smarter environmental monitoring and analytics for oil and gas industries. The solution implements...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- The Software-Defined Data Center: Is your ADC ready? Data center transformation is accelerating beyond virtualization to next-generation cloud architectures and software-defined data centers, bringing new challenges for application performance, scalability and...
- Application Acceleration: Optimize the End-User Experience Watch this on-demand webcast and learn how you can optimize your web content, accelerate performance across any device and browser combination, and offload... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts