IBM starts testing next version of 'Viper' database
Beta of DB2 9 upgrade adds new workload management and auditing features
DB2 Viper 2, the next release of DB2 9 for Linux, Unix and Windows servers, adds new workload management tools for improved query governance and monitoring, auditing capabilities for regulatory compliance purposes, and security and high-availability features, according to a blog posting Monday by Chris Eaton, an IBM product manager.
The planned upgrade also includes simplified memory management and enhancements to the data compression features already available in DB2 9, Eaton wrote.
IBM released DB2 9, code-named Viper, last July. At the time, IBM touted the database's ability to natively store both relational data and unstructured XML content, such as audio, video and Web pages.
Bolstered by its purchase of Informix Corp.'s database technology in 2001, IBM stole the database market-share crown from Oracle Corp. that year. Since then, however, Oracle has regained and steadily increased its lead.
Despite the release of Viper, figures released publicly this week by Gartner Inc. showed Oracle controlling 47.1% of the worldwide relational database market last year, with IBM holding 21.1% -- down from 22.1% in 2005.
Read more about Databases in Computerworld's Databases Topic Center.
- Data Visualization Techniques: From Basics to Big Data with SAS Visual Analytics This paper discusses some of the basic issues concerning data visualization, from data size and column composition, to solving unique challenges presented by...
- Best Practices in SAS Data Management for Big Data Big data trends and related technologies are becoming important to organizations of all types and sizes. This paper introduces the most important technologies...
- Fast and Furious: How SAS VA Helps IT Deliver BI Platform Read this whitepaper to learn more about the benefits of self-service BI to make business critical decisions.
- Understanding Big Data Quality for Maximum Information Usability In this paper we examine some of the challenges presented by managing the quality and governance of big data, and how those can...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!