IBM starts testing next version of 'Viper' database
Beta of DB2 9 upgrade adds new workload management and auditing features
DB2 Viper 2, the next release of DB2 9 for Linux, Unix and Windows servers, adds new workload management tools for improved query governance and monitoring, auditing capabilities for regulatory compliance purposes, and security and high-availability features, according to a blog posting Monday by Chris Eaton, an IBM product manager.
The planned upgrade also includes simplified memory management and enhancements to the data compression features already available in DB2 9, Eaton wrote.
IBM released DB2 9, code-named Viper, last July. At the time, IBM touted the database's ability to natively store both relational data and unstructured XML content, such as audio, video and Web pages.
Bolstered by its purchase of Informix Corp.'s database technology in 2001, IBM stole the database market-share crown from Oracle Corp. that year. Since then, however, Oracle has regained and steadily increased its lead.
Despite the release of Viper, figures released publicly this week by Gartner Inc. showed Oracle controlling 47.1% of the worldwide relational database market last year, with IBM holding 21.1% -- down from 22.1% in 2005.
Read more about Databases in Computerworld's Databases Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Logicalis eBook: SAP HANA: The Need for Speed Without timely business insights, organizations today can suffer logistical, manufacturing, and even financial disaster in a matter of minutes
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Unified Communications 101 What's the best way to implement a unified communications solution for your organization? Join independent networking expert, Ed Tittel, as he weighs the... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts