Apple picks a fight it can't win
The iPhone will do fine in the market, and a smattering of cool apps will be written for Safari-on-iPhone. But I think Safari will get slaughtered in the bare-knuckled brawl that is the Windows browser market.
Apple may believe that it can enter and dominate at least the "alternative" Windows browser market as it did the media player space. But this is an entirely new and unfamiliar world for Apple. Direct competition on a level-playing field that Apple doesn't control just isn't Apple's thing.
Safari on Windows will fail.
Mike Elgan writes about technology and global tech culture. Contact Mike at email@example.com or his blog, The Raw Feed.
Related News and Discussion:
- First look: Apple's Safari beta -- what's new, what it means
- Safari 3: The blogosphere's first take on Apple's first browser for Windows
- Browser Smackdown: Firefox vs. IE vs. Opera vs. Safari
- Top 10 Firefox extensions to avoid
- 20 must-have Firefox extensions
- Preston Gralla: Why Firefox has lost its mojo
- Daily IT Blogwatch: It's IE8 vs. Firefox 4 for 2008 (and animal noises)
- Ken Gagne: Steve Jobs, Slayer of DRM
- Joyce Carpenter: Mac OS X better than Vista which is better than XP which is better than ...
- Shark Bait: Apple's mobile phone: A must-have product, or will it go the way of the Newton?
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Stop Guessing, Start Measuring: How to Use Mobile Analytics to Deliver the Best App ROI This interactive e-book investigates how mobile is driving the need for app and portfolio measures unlike any we saw in the days of...
- APIs & MBaaS: How to Extend Your Enterprise Architecture for a Mobile World "Mobile," as Forrester Research observes, "is pushing aging web architectures to the brink." Download this whitepaper and learn how each of these requirements...
- Three Principles of the Mobile Era or Mastering the Mobile Shift: Three Keys to the New Enterprise In this whitepaper, you will learn the tools, technologies and strategies that are necessary for a mobile-ready IT to master the 3 keys...
- Live Webcast How to serve up a Grand Slam with a scalable IT Infrastructure for cloud, big data and advanced analytics Register today to attend this webcast, and see examples of how The U.S. Tennis Association, Wimbledon and U.S. Golf Association are using the...
- Live Webcast Security Vulnerabilities Associated With Having Local Administrator Privileges Viewfinity will demonstrate how removing admin rights and granularly managing privileges at the application level reduces the attack surface.
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts