Apple picks a fight it can't win
The iPhone will do fine in the market, and a smattering of cool apps will be written for Safari-on-iPhone. But I think Safari will get slaughtered in the bare-knuckled brawl that is the Windows browser market.
Apple may believe that it can enter and dominate at least the "alternative" Windows browser market as it did the media player space. But this is an entirely new and unfamiliar world for Apple. Direct competition on a level-playing field that Apple doesn't control just isn't Apple's thing.
Safari on Windows will fail.
Mike Elgan writes about technology and global tech culture. Contact Mike at email@example.com or his blog, The Raw Feed.
Related News and Discussion:
- First look: Apple's Safari beta -- what's new, what it means
- Safari 3: The blogosphere's first take on Apple's first browser for Windows
- Browser Smackdown: Firefox vs. IE vs. Opera vs. Safari
- Top 10 Firefox extensions to avoid
- 20 must-have Firefox extensions
- Preston Gralla: Why Firefox has lost its mojo
- Daily IT Blogwatch: It's IE8 vs. Firefox 4 for 2008 (and animal noises)
- Ken Gagne: Steve Jobs, Slayer of DRM
- Joyce Carpenter: Mac OS X better than Vista which is better than XP which is better than ...
- Shark Bait: Apple's mobile phone: A must-have product, or will it go the way of the Newton?
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!