Computerworld - It isn't often that you have access to your local neighborhood data center, literally a few steps down the block. But I did. I live in a residential area of St. Louis called the Central West End, and I pass by the offices of the Regional Justice Information Service (REJIS) almost every day. When I learned that it was going to be moving its data center, I knew that I had to be there for the actual move.
That was before I found out about the background check and how the move was taking place during the middle of the night. But I am getting ahead of the story.
In the process of reporting on the move, I got to see some terrific best practices about how to pick up your servers and minimize downtime, too. (See the best practices tips scattered throughout this story.)
Moving a data center isn't easy under the best of circumstances. And no matter how hard you plan, there are still things that you don't think about, like a brand-new elevator that wasn't working. (More on that, too.)
The REJIS data center then (above) and now. (Click images for larger version.)
REJIS is an interesting enterprise: It was founded in 1976 to provide IT services to the public sector in the St. Louis area. The organization now handles more than 200 different government clients for applications development and it supports more than a dozen different programming languages.
Tip: "Put staff at various remote locations during the move," says Eric Gorham, director of IT for the organization. That way, services can be tested as they are restored -- without affecting the main data center staff.
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!