Computerworld - It isn't often that you have access to your local neighborhood data center, literally a few steps down the block. But I did. I live in a residential area of St. Louis called the Central West End, and I pass by the offices of the Regional Justice Information Service (REJIS) almost every day. When I learned that it was going to be moving its data center, I knew that I had to be there for the actual move.
That was before I found out about the background check and how the move was taking place during the middle of the night. But I am getting ahead of the story.
In the process of reporting on the move, I got to see some terrific best practices about how to pick up your servers and minimize downtime, too. (See the best practices tips scattered throughout this story.)
Moving a data center isn't easy under the best of circumstances. And no matter how hard you plan, there are still things that you don't think about, like a brand-new elevator that wasn't working. (More on that, too.)
The REJIS data center then (above) and now. (Click images for larger version.)
REJIS is an interesting enterprise: It was founded in 1976 to provide IT services to the public sector in the St. Louis area. The organization now handles more than 200 different government clients for applications development and it supports more than a dozen different programming languages.
Tip: "Put staff at various remote locations during the move," says Eric Gorham, director of IT for the organization. That way, services can be tested as they are restored -- without affecting the main data center staff.
- Workload Change: The 70 Percent of Your Business DevOps Forgot Adding WLA early in the development process ensures that the benefits of DevOps accrue for all applications, including your batch services. This paper...
- Oracle EBS and RAC Performance & Elasticity on Vblock™ Systems VCE Vblock™ Systems provide simple, low-risk solutions for migrating from a physical to virtual environment.
- Backup and Recovery of Oracle EBS on VCE Vblock™ Systems This solution architecture describes the key features and benefits of backup and recovery in the virtualized Oracle EBS on Vblock Systems with EMC...
- Zero Downtime Migration for Oracle EBS R12 with RAC on Vblock™ Systems The validation testing of a typical customer configuration outlined in this white paper, utilizes a virtualized Oracle EBS environment. The results illustrate that...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few. All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!