Title: Co-founder and co-chief technology officer
Company: Zend Technologies
30-second biography: Gutmans has been a lead contributor to PHP since 1997, when he and Zeev Suraski developed the foundation for PHP 3. That version was a turning point for the language, which today powers 20 million Web sites and has a following of over 4.5 million developers. In 1999, he co-founded Zend Technologies, a company that provides business-critical PHP applications. As co-CTO and head of the Advanced Technology Group, Gutmans leads product strategy and innovation, including the open-source Zend Framework project. In addition, he has fostered Zend's growth by securing four rounds of financing, aiding with key customer wins and supporting alliances with industry giants like IBM, Oracle and Microsoft.
Current project: I am working on a variety of projects to further enhance the experience of PHP developers. These include Zend Framework, which delivers a high-quality open-source framework for developing modern Web applications and Web services. Among other things, Zend Framework heavily focuses on some of the latest trends in Web development, including a special emphasis on Web services and search. An example of innovative IT use of Zend Framework is IBM's QEDWiki project, an application that allows the easy creation of enterprise mashups.
Most critical technologies for IT this year: One trend that I think is going to be critical to the IT industry in the coming years is the decentralization of IT. It is being enabled by a few factors. The first is dynamic languages like PHP, which are making it increasingly easy for lightweight developers to become productive. The second is the rise of service-oriented architecture, which is leading to the end of monolithic application architectures. Third, the shift toward Web applications that are making it extremely easy to deploy applications inside the enterprise, not requiring a central function to test, deploy and manage those applications. This change is going to allow companies to become far more productive and agile, significantly decreasing the traditional backlog of business applications IT has in its queue. It will also enable an increasing amount of such applications to leverage the organization's existing assets by integrating the SOA-enabled infrastructure.
The best thing about today's technology: It's readily available. The cost of acquisition has gone down significantly, and getting up and running usually takes little time and energy.
The worst thing about today's technology: There is too much choice. It is often very hard to decide what solutions to adopt, and the market is in constant flux. Do we really need hundreds of Linux distributions?
Technology can . . . improveour quality of life, but at the same time can enslave us.
Book most recently on your nightstand: The Soul of a New Machine, by Tracy Kidder.
Favorite Web sites: news.com
Return to "40 Under 40 slideshow" | See Computerworld's 40th Anniversary Special Report
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The CIO's Guide to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) This guide will help those making an EMM platform decision make the best choice for their organization.
- Yankee Group: BlackBerry Results Refute Rumors of its Demise Yankee Group: BlackBerry® is stronger than the press makes it out to be.
- Your New EMM Platform: How to Streamline the Migration Smartphone migration can be resource-intensive and challenging. Find out how outsourcing the process can save significant time and money.
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts