F-Secure hit with antivirus vulnerabilities
Physician, heal thyself?
IDG News Service - F-Secure Corp. has patched several vulnerabilities in its security products, the most critical of which could be used to run unauthorized software on a victim's computer.
The most critical of these bugs affects F-Secure's antivirus products. A flaw in the way the software unpacks files that have been compressed using the LHA archiving format, could allow an attacker to crash the system, or even run unauthorized software on the computer, F-Secure said in an advisory, published Wednesday.
This flaw is related to a similar flaw in the Gzip decompression utility that was discovered last September, F-Secure said.
A second less-critical vulnerability in some of the company's antivirus software was also patched Wednesday. This flaw could be used by an attacker with access to the local system to get into unauthorized parts of the system in what is called a privilege escalation attack.
Users of some versions of F-Secure Anti-Virus and Internet Security have been automatically delivered the software patches for these flaws, F-Secure said. A list of which products require hotfixes can be found within F-Secure's security bulletins.
Also on Wednesday, F-Secure fixed a flaw in its Policy Manager Server that could be used by attackers to launch a denial of service attack against the security management software. Secunia rates this bug as "less critical."
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- Cybersecurity Imperatives: Reinvent your Network Security The Rise of CyberSecurity
- Surescripts Case Study- Securing Keys and Certificates Surescripts implemented Venafi's Trust Protection Platform™ to secure digital keys and certificates, ensure the privacy and confidentiality of electronic clinical information for its...
- Ponemon 2014 SSH Security Vulnerability Report According to research by the Ponemon Institute, 3 out of 4 enterprises have no security controls in place for SSH which leaves organizations...
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities.
- Deep Dive into Advanced Networking and Security with Hybrid Cloud Security and networking are among the top concerns when moving workloads to the cloud. VMware vCloud® Hybrid Service™ enables you to extend your... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!