F-Secure hit with antivirus vulnerabilities
Physician, heal thyself?
IDG News Service - F-Secure Corp. has patched several vulnerabilities in its security products, the most critical of which could be used to run unauthorized software on a victim's computer.
The most critical of these bugs affects F-Secure's antivirus products. A flaw in the way the software unpacks files that have been compressed using the LHA archiving format, could allow an attacker to crash the system, or even run unauthorized software on the computer, F-Secure said in an advisory, published Wednesday.
This flaw is related to a similar flaw in the Gzip decompression utility that was discovered last September, F-Secure said.
A second less-critical vulnerability in some of the company's antivirus software was also patched Wednesday. This flaw could be used by an attacker with access to the local system to get into unauthorized parts of the system in what is called a privilege escalation attack.
Users of some versions of F-Secure Anti-Virus and Internet Security have been automatically delivered the software patches for these flaws, F-Secure said. A list of which products require hotfixes can be found within F-Secure's security bulletins.
Also on Wednesday, F-Secure fixed a flaw in its Policy Manager Server that could be used by attackers to launch a denial of service attack against the security management software. Secunia rates this bug as "less critical."
- Radicati: Cloud Business Email - Market Quadrant 2013 Google was named the top cloud business email provider in a recent report by research firm Radicati. Out of 14 key players, Google...
- Tablets in the Enterprise: A Checklist for Successful Deployment How can you enterprise manage and secure tablets in order to protect corporate data while providing access to the information and applications employees...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise File Sync & Share Checklist File sync and share has changed the way people work and collaborate in today's tech-savvy world. Gone are the email roadblocks, clunky FTP...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Security White Papers | Webcasts