F-Secure hit with antivirus vulnerabilities
Physician, heal thyself?
IDG News Service - F-Secure Corp. has patched several vulnerabilities in its security products, the most critical of which could be used to run unauthorized software on a victim's computer.
The most critical of these bugs affects F-Secure's antivirus products. A flaw in the way the software unpacks files that have been compressed using the LHA archiving format, could allow an attacker to crash the system, or even run unauthorized software on the computer, F-Secure said in an advisory, published Wednesday.
This flaw is related to a similar flaw in the Gzip decompression utility that was discovered last September, F-Secure said.
A second less-critical vulnerability in some of the company's antivirus software was also patched Wednesday. This flaw could be used by an attacker with access to the local system to get into unauthorized parts of the system in what is called a privilege escalation attack.
Users of some versions of F-Secure Anti-Virus and Internet Security have been automatically delivered the software patches for these flaws, F-Secure said. A list of which products require hotfixes can be found within F-Secure's security bulletins.
Also on Wednesday, F-Secure fixed a flaw in its Policy Manager Server that could be used by attackers to launch a denial of service attack against the security management software. Secunia rates this bug as "less critical."
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Securing BYOD Mobile computing is becoming so ubiquitous that people no longer bat an eye seeing someone working two devices simultaneously. Individuals and organizations are...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts