Cisco's Chambers pushes video, Web 2.0
At Interop, CEO says companies can use tools from consumer market
IDG News Service - LAS VEGAS -- John Chambers has found a technology that can keep up with his fast-talking style, and it's at the core of Cisco Systems Inc.'s push to bring Web 2.0 technology into enterprises.
"I clearly communicate at 200 words a minute, and I'm much better with the video capability that goes with it," the Cisco chairman and CEO said today in an Interop keynote address that emphasized collaboration via forms of communication. The way young people communicate now, through video, text messaging and social networking sites such as MySpace.com, is how enterprises will communicate in the next few years, he said.
However, IT executives will have to translate those technologies for business management. Employees will need easy, one-click tools that are secure, Chambers said. Video is the ultimate tool for executives, who may not know what Web 2.0 is but who understand what they can do with Cisco's Telepresence, a line of high-definition videoconferencing systems the company introduced last year, Chambers said.
Enterprises can seize on new collaboration tools from the consumer market, Chambers said.
"It's been a way that people kind of communicated in spite of the IT department. Now the IT department has to lead," he said.
Cisco was digging deeper into video even as attendees gathered in Las Vegas yesterday at the big six-day networking conference. It agreed to acquire BroadWare Technologies Inc., a video surveillance company, for an undisclosed sum. Today, Cisco introduced new wireless LAN features designed to help enterprises track assets and carry their voice calls over Wi-Fi networks.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Alert Logic for PCI DSS Compliance To achieve PCI DSS compliance, you must identify and remediate all critical vulnerabilities detected during PCI scans. Threat Manager streamlines this process by...
- Accelerating Network Convergence in Virtualized and Cloud Data Centers Adopting a converged networking strategy enables organizations to traffic server and storage I/O workloads on consolidated data throughput channels. Intelligent software helps optimize...
- How 10GbE Network is the Backbone of the Virtual Data Center The shift to a virtual data center has put tremendous strain on legacy networks; driving the need for more speed, lower latency, more...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts