Microsoft rolls out mashup tool set for nontechies
Popfly can build mashups, gadgets and Web pages, and includes a social network
Built with Microsoft's new Silverlight 1.0 Flash-like rich media tool, Popfly is the company's latest pitch to nontechnical programmers, wrote Soma Somasegar, vice president of Microsoft's developer division on his blog.
"Today's generation is seeking an easier way to build, customize and share experiences with their family and friends -- to express themselves in creative ways through software," he wrote. "Visual Studio 2005 Express Editions was the first step in this direction."
Popfly, which he positions as an easy way to begin using Silverlight, is the next step in that evolution, he added.
The Popfly Creator tool enables users to connect "blocks," or pieces of code for retrieving data from a Web site or performing other tasks like getting their photos from Live Spaces or Flickr and displaying them like a slide show -- all without writing code, Microsoft said. The tool also allows users to drag and drop blocks and connect them to build applications.
In addition, the Popfly Space Web site is an online community where users can host, share, rate, comment and remix creations from other users, Microsoft said. Microsoft is inviting a limited number of users to test the alpha version of the tool.
This announcement comes on the heels of Yahoo Inc.'s February launch of a prototype tool that would let users create mashups without programming skills. The unforeseen popularity of that site forced Yahoo to shut it down the same day it was launched so the company could boost its capacity.
- HTTP Status Code Cheat Sheet Look at the Graph, Find the Code and Boom - You're Solving Problems. Identifying and understanding common HTTP status codes can go a...
- 10 Steps to Application and Network Performance Nirvana 10 simple steps that network operations teams can take to ensure that applications and underlying infrastructure can both be tuned for maximum performance.
- Application Performance Management for Dummies Application performance management helps deliver the application performance users and the business demand. Effectively monitoring and troubleshooting application performance issues requires a comprehensive...
- IDC Report: Optimize IT and Business Gains This IDC Whitepaper outlines how CIOs can understand what the "total cost of data" is across their entire organization and how Delphix can...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts