IBM rolls out development tool for nonprogrammers
New tool allows users to build online forms without IT department, IBM says
IBM on Wednesday announced a new Web application development tool that can help users without technical skills develop online forms for automating common manual tasks like collecting and analyzing information.
The new tool, IBM Development Engagement Service (DevEngage), is now available without charge as a hosted service on IBM's AlphaWorks site. The AlphaWorks site provides users with access to emerging technologies and provides IBM with their feedback.
DevEngage was developed at IBM's Haifa Research Laboratory in Israel.
"This is ideal for a small or medium-size business, both for the developer who has to handle these requests in a queue and a business user who is waiting to hear back if their application is ready," said Cynthya Peranandam, emerging technology strategist at AlphaWorks. "If you're the business user, you don't have to actually submit a request to the developer, [and] if you are the developer or IT department, now you don't have to worry about as many items."
The browser-based tool will be familiar to business users of word processing applications, she added. It only requires that users to drag and drop objects to build online forms. Peranandam suggested that users will take less time building a form using the tool that they previously took writing a requirements document for IT.
Users can develop the form using any Internet browser, Peranandam said, and the tool uses a series of wizard pages to let a user specify details like an application name, behavior and look and feel, she added. After the user defines the application, it is submitted to the tool's Java-based back end, where it is built and made available to the user at a URL.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Coding with JRebel: Java Forever Changed With JRebel, developers get to see their code changes immediately, fine-tune their code with incremental changes, debug, explore and deploy their code with...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Adobe Creative Cloud FAQ The following are answers to common questions about Adobe® Creative Cloud™ for teams membership, purchasing, security, and storage.
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts