Mac Office, Office 2007 now get along
Microsoft has released a stopgap file converter
The beta application only converts .docx files -- documents saved in Word 2007's new native Open XML format -- into .rtf (Rich Text Format) documents, a format that can be opened by Word 2004 or Word v.X for Mac OS X. It supports only one-way conversion.
"We do not want to see you inadvertently mess up any critical documents you are working with," Geoff Price, of Microsoft's Mac Business Unit, said in a posting to the Mac Office blog. "When sending documents back to colleagues and contacts, we recommend saving to the default .doc format from Mac Word."
Microsoft's Mac developers went with a stand-alone converter rather than an add-on to Office to cut down testing time and to allow the Office 2008 team to focus on the new suite. A final, integrated converter for Office 2004 will launch six to eight weeks after Office 2008 debuts, as Microsoft promised in January when it announced the new Mac bundle. A polished stand-alone converter will be released after that.
Updates to the beta this summer will add conversions for Excel and PowerPoint documents, said Price. He didn't specify dates.
Office 2008 for Mac, which Microsoft has pinpointed as a second half 2007 release, will use the same default Open XML file formats as Windows Office 2007 applications. The new suite -- the first written by Microsoft for Intel-based Macs and the last to support older machines running PowerPC processors -- will also rely on an Office 2007's Ribbon-like interface.
The 25MB converter installation file can be downloaded from Microsoft's Web site.
Read more about Desktop Apps in Computerworld's Desktop Apps Topic Center.
- Why Projects Fail CIOs are expected to deliver more projects that transform business, and do so on time, on budget and with limited resources.
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Windows White Papers | Webcasts