Washington state bans text messaging, cell phone use while driving
But drivers can only be cited for the law if stopped for another traffic violation
Computerworld - Beginning Jan. 1, it will be illegal for drivers in the state of Washington to read, type or send a text message from a wireless device while behind the wheel. Motorists also will be banned from using all but "hands-free" cell phones while driving.
Gov. Chris Gregoire signed the law on Friday. The law won't apply to emergency personnel, tow truck drivers who use wireless devices that are permanently attached to their vehicles, or drivers using wireless devices to report illegal activity, call for medical assistance or other emergencies. Users of "hands-free" devices are also exempt.
Drivers can be cited for breaking the new law only if they have been stopped for another traffic violation. The fine for violating the new law could be as high as $250.
According to a survey released earlier this year by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Co., 37% of so-called Generation Y drivers -- those 23 years old or younger -- admitted to texting or engaging in instant messaging while driving, compared with 17% of Gen X drivers (those 24 to 46) and 2% of baby boomers (age 47 to 67).
Washington's legislators proposed the law after an accident involving a man using his BlackBerry mobile device while driving.
The accident, which occurred in December, was caused by a 53-year-old man using his BlackBerry while driving a minivan in the express lane of Interstate 5 near downtown Seattle. According to the Seattle Times, the man, who was unaware that the traffic ahead of him had stopped, smashed into the car in front of him, causing a chain reaction involving three other cars and a bus carrying 28 passengers. No one was seriously injured in the accident.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts