IDG News Service - Microsoft Corp. said today that it will buy ScreenTonic SA, a company that specializes in delivering location-based ads to mobile devices.
ScreenTonic, based in Paris and founded in 2001, will become part of Microsoft's Digital Advertising Solutions group, created last September to sell advertising across its devices such as the Xbox gaming system and its Web sites.
ScreenTonic's platform, called Stamp, enables delivery of text or banner links on portals, ads in SMS (Short Message Service) messages and ads in mobile Web pages that vary depending on where the reader is located.
The platform includes a manager component that can handle monitoring, billing and reporting, and a server that delivers ads according to certain criteria, according to ScreenTonic's Web site. It also has a sales component for developing and selling ad campaigns.
The technology is a new addition for Microsoft, which had not done any development in mobile advertising, said Chris Dobson, vice president of global sales for Digital Advertising Solutions.
The ScreenTonic acquisition is a long-term bet in an area that Microsoft expects to grow as download speeds pick up through wider use of 3G (third-generation) and HSDPA (High Speed Downlink Packet Access) technologies, he said.
"We sort of see a parallel world mimicking the way the online space has developed, but it's at a very early stage," Dobson said.
Then, Microsoft may be able to offer consumers free content in exchange for viewing ads, a trade-off that has worked well in the PC area, Dobson said.
Microsoft won't rebrand ScreenTonic and instead will take a hands-off approach, letting its founders, who will stay with the company, keep it on course, Dobson said. Many of ScreenTonic's clients, such as Vodafone Group PLC, are already Microsoft partners, he said.
Last year, ScreenTonic announced it had gained $7.4 million in new funding from investors 3i Group PLC and I-Source Gestion SA, while also opening a subsidiary in London.
The companies did not disclose the terms of their deal.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
As emerging technologies evolve they often find an initial niche in highly specialized scenarios, or in specific industry verticals, before expanding to wider areas of applicability. Within these initial niches, the early adopters can be anything from digital enthusiasts to fashionistas, or they can be folks simply using the technology because it serves a specific need extremely well. (free registration required) more