Mozilla ramps up Firefox 3 schedule
It plans to deliver alphas monthly and Beta 1 by late July
Alpha editions of Firefox 3 will be released monthly, said Mike Schroepfer, the company's vice president of engineering, in a posting to the mozilla.dev.planning forum. "We will do date-driven alpha releases on a one-month cadence," said Schroepfer.
The new schedule shows that three more previews -- Alphas 4, 5 and 6 -- will be released near the end of April, May and June, respectively, with a feature-complete Beta 1 dropping into testers' hands July 31. The most recent test edition, Alpha 3, was posted March 27.
Firefox 3, which Mozilla has said should appear in final form in the last quarter of the year, will feature a completely revamped bookmarking system, new identity management tools and support for offline Web applications. The redesigned bookmarks, dubbed Places, will debut in Alpha 5, which is due to roll out May 31.
According to numbers reported earlier this month by metrics vendor Net Applications, Firefox had 15.1% of the global browser market. Microsoft Corp.'s Internet Explorer remained the leader, however, with a 78.6% share.
Read more about Open Source in Computerworld's Open Source Topic Center.
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Using Continuous Delivery to Improve Software Delivery Learn more about the challenges impacting organizations and how continuous delivery processes can be a key success factor in accelerating software delivery.
- Global Bank Improves Quality of Application Development Read how this financial institution centralized build assets, cut development time in half and added additional security controls.
- HTTP Status Code Cheat Sheet Look at the Graph, Find the Code and Boom - You're Solving Problems. Identifying and understanding common HTTP status codes can go a...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts