All-you-can-store online backup for Mac goes beta
Berkeley Data Systems offers the service for $4.95 a month
Computerworld - A small Utah online backup service that recently signed a deal to back up 300,000 PCs owned by General Electric Co. today announced that it is offering Mac users unlimited storage for $4.95 per month.
Berkeley Data Systems Inc., the company behind the Mozy and MozyPro backup services for Windows PCs, launched the first public beta of Mac Mozy today. A limited beta with about 1,000 testers preceded the launch.
"The public beta was built by Mac engineers who understand the needs of the Mac community," said Josh Coates, CEO of American Fork, Utah-based Berkeley Data.
Mac Mozy lets users choose between a Mozy encryption key and a private encryption key to secure the data uploaded to the company's servers. Both incremental backups and block-level differentials are supported, and the service leverages Mac OS X's Spotlight search application; users can select files and folders to back up from Spotlight.
The service requires an Intel- or PowerPC-equipped Mac running Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger). Beta testers can sign up for the $4.95 per month all-you-can-store plan, or the free-of-charge service that limits storage to 2GB.
A Mac Mozy account can be created at the Berkeley Data site, where the necessary software can be downloaded.
Berkeley Data, which unveiled an unlimited online backup for Windows users in December, competes with the likes of Carbonite Inc. in the PC market.
Read more about Mac OS X in Computerworld's Mac OS X Topic Center.
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Infographic:10 Reasons to Choose vCloud Air Looking to create an agile, productive, and efficient IT environment? Read this simple infographic to learn about the benefits that VMware vCloud® Air™...
- Data Visualization Techniques: From Basics to Big Data with SAS Visual Analytics This paper discusses some of the basic issues concerning data visualization, from data size and column composition, to solving unique challenges presented by...
- 5 Hybrid Cloud Starting Points Did you know that more than 50% of organizations are already using or planning a move to hybrid cloud?
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Mac OS X White Papers | Webcasts