Free browser plug-in spots dodgy sites
Finjan's SecureBrowsing works with Internet Explorer, Firefox
Computerworld - Finjan Software Inc. today joined the ranks of vendors offering free site security-ranking services by unveiling SecureBrowsing, a plug-in for Internet Explorer and Firefox that warns users of risky Web sites.
The browser plug-in scans each link in the results generated by the search engines from Google Inc., Yahoo Inc. and Microsoft Corp. in real time, then ranks the URLs so users can decide whether to click through. The scans, said Finjan, examine all the dynamic code components of the page and detect potentially malicious code hosted on sites with a behavior-based scanner rather than relying on blacklists.
Links are tagged with green or red icons to denote safe or possibly hazardous sites, respectively.
"A URL that was safe yesterday might contain malicious code today," Yuval Ben-Itzhak, Finjan's CTO, said in a statement. "Unlike other products that are based on static databases [of] domain reputations, Finjan SecureBrowsing scans each URL as it currently exists on the Web each time the address is displayed in the browser."
SecureBrowsing also rates the links it finds in Gmail, Yahoo Mail and Windows Live Hotmail e-mail messages as well as those in entries on MySpace, Digg, Slashdot and Blogger.
McAfee Inc.'s SiteAdvisor was the first to take on the site ranking chore with in-browser plug-ins, but others have followed, including Exploit Prevention Labs, which gives away LinkScanner Lite and sells a more advanced edition, LinkScanner Pro, for $29.95.
Finjan's SecureBrowsing plug-ins can be downloaded from the San Jose-based company's site.
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Securing BYOD Mobile computing is becoming so ubiquitous that people no longer bat an eye seeing someone working two devices simultaneously. Individuals and organizations are...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts