Free browser plug-in spots dodgy sites
Finjan's SecureBrowsing works with Internet Explorer, Firefox
Computerworld - Finjan Software Inc. today joined the ranks of vendors offering free site security-ranking services by unveiling SecureBrowsing, a plug-in for Internet Explorer and Firefox that warns users of risky Web sites.
The browser plug-in scans each link in the results generated by the search engines from Google Inc., Yahoo Inc. and Microsoft Corp. in real time, then ranks the URLs so users can decide whether to click through. The scans, said Finjan, examine all the dynamic code components of the page and detect potentially malicious code hosted on sites with a behavior-based scanner rather than relying on blacklists.
Links are tagged with green or red icons to denote safe or possibly hazardous sites, respectively.
"A URL that was safe yesterday might contain malicious code today," Yuval Ben-Itzhak, Finjan's CTO, said in a statement. "Unlike other products that are based on static databases [of] domain reputations, Finjan SecureBrowsing scans each URL as it currently exists on the Web each time the address is displayed in the browser."
SecureBrowsing also rates the links it finds in Gmail, Yahoo Mail and Windows Live Hotmail e-mail messages as well as those in entries on MySpace, Digg, Slashdot and Blogger.
McAfee Inc.'s SiteAdvisor was the first to take on the site ranking chore with in-browser plug-ins, but others have followed, including Exploit Prevention Labs, which gives away LinkScanner Lite and sells a more advanced edition, LinkScanner Pro, for $29.95.
Finjan's SecureBrowsing plug-ins can be downloaded from the San Jose-based company's site.
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- Warning: Cloud Data at Risk Experts agree that relying on SaaS vendors to backup and restore your data is dangerous. Yet that's exactly what huge portions of the...
- The Opportunities and Challenges of the Cloud In this report F5 poses questions to IDC analysts, Sally Hudson and Phil Hochmuth, on behalf of F5's customers to better understand the...
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- The Truth About Cloud Security "Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!