Free browser plug-in spots dodgy sites
Finjan's SecureBrowsing works with Internet Explorer, Firefox
Computerworld - Finjan Software Inc. today joined the ranks of vendors offering free site security-ranking services by unveiling SecureBrowsing, a plug-in for Internet Explorer and Firefox that warns users of risky Web sites.
The browser plug-in scans each link in the results generated by the search engines from Google Inc., Yahoo Inc. and Microsoft Corp. in real time, then ranks the URLs so users can decide whether to click through. The scans, said Finjan, examine all the dynamic code components of the page and detect potentially malicious code hosted on sites with a behavior-based scanner rather than relying on blacklists.
Links are tagged with green or red icons to denote safe or possibly hazardous sites, respectively.
"A URL that was safe yesterday might contain malicious code today," Yuval Ben-Itzhak, Finjan's CTO, said in a statement. "Unlike other products that are based on static databases [of] domain reputations, Finjan SecureBrowsing scans each URL as it currently exists on the Web each time the address is displayed in the browser."
SecureBrowsing also rates the links it finds in Gmail, Yahoo Mail and Windows Live Hotmail e-mail messages as well as those in entries on MySpace, Digg, Slashdot and Blogger.
McAfee Inc.'s SiteAdvisor was the first to take on the site ranking chore with in-browser plug-ins, but others have followed, including Exploit Prevention Labs, which gives away LinkScanner Lite and sells a more advanced edition, LinkScanner Pro, for $29.95.
Finjan's SecureBrowsing plug-ins can be downloaded from the San Jose-based company's site.
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- Securing Mobile App Data - Comparing Containers and App Wrappers Analysts agree that Mobile Device Management (MDM) is not enough when it comes to securing app data. Although it remains a critical component...
- PCI 3.0 Compliance In this white paper, learn how PCI-DSS 3.0 effects how you deploy and maintain PCI compliant networks using CradlePoint devices.
- Mitigating Security Risks at the Networks Edge This white paper provides strategies and best practices for distributed enterprises to protect their networks against vulnerabilities, threats, and malicious attacks.
- 5 Strategies for Modern Data Protection Read the five strategies for modern data protection that will not only help solve your current data management challenges but also ensure that...
- Business-driven data protection Setting up data protection infrastructures with your organizations' core mission or business in mind is key. In this webinar, the ARCserve team will...
- On-Demand Webinar: Mind the Gap! Watch the webinar featuring Bob Janssen, CTO and Co-Founder of RES Software, to start building a solid foundation for business and IT to... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!