IRS head: All laptops to be encrypted within weeks
Everson defends agency's security record in wake of audit
IDG News Service - After an auditor found serious security problems in the way it handled sensitive data on laptops, the Internal Revenue Service said it will have all laptops encrypted within the next few weeks.
Speaking in an interview with National Public Radio over the weekend, Internal Revenue Service Commissioner Mark Everson said his organization was making the effort following a recently released audit that found unencrypted data on a large percentage of IRS laptop computers.
"What the report showed, which was correct, was that we weren't taking the proper steps to protect some laptops," Everson said. "We've worked to encrypt all of the laptops and that's just about done. We've got a couple dozen more we've got to finish up in the next few weeks."
Auditors tested 100 laptop computers used by IRS employees and found that 44 of them contained "unencrypted sensitive data, including taxpayer data and employee personnel data."
The audit was conducted by the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration. It also determined that nearly 500 IRS laptops went missing between Jan. 2, 2003 and June 13, 2006.
A 2003 audit found similar problems within the IRS.
Everson defended his department's security practices, however. "Every day there are attempts to get into our databases," he said. "And there has never been a penetration of the IRS databases from the outside."
- EndPoint Interactive eGuide In this eGuide, Network World, Computerworld, and CIO examine two endpoint trends - BYOD and collaboration - and offer tips and advice on...
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- Cybersecurity Imperatives: Reinvent your Network Security The Rise of CyberSecurity
- Surescripts Case Study- Securing Keys and Certificates Surescripts implemented Venafi's Trust Protection Platform™ to secure digital keys and certificates, ensure the privacy and confidentiality of electronic clinical information for its...
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities.
- Deep Dive into Advanced Networking and Security with Hybrid Cloud Security and networking are among the top concerns when moving workloads to the cloud. VMware vCloud® Hybrid Service™ enables you to extend your... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!