Wave your phone, make a payment
Payment phone demonstrated at CTIA
PC World - Wave your cell phone at a Coke machine, hit a couple of keypad keys, and moments later an ice-cold beverage tumbles into your hand. Lack of loose change (or a credit card) becomes no barrier to the pause that refreshes.
That's the vision of so-called contactless payment through cell phones--and slowly but surely, all the elements required to make that vision a reality are falling into place. At CTIA Wireless 2007, Visa is demonstrating its mobile payment application, which lets you use a cell phone with embedded Near Field Communication (NFC) technology to make payments to vending machines, parking meters, or any merchant with an NFC reader.
You must launch the app and choose the Payments option to activate the NFC technology and transmit a payment through your Visa card. The Offers menu item will display Visa merchant offers (but only on an opt-in basis, Visa promises). Verisign has partnered with Visa for this functionality; the offers will arrive as SMS text messages, but will only appear in the application, not your SMS inbox.
The Account option uses secure over-the-air (OTA) technologies to let you manage your Visa account the way you would with a desktop browser--view statements and activity, pay monthly bills, and so on.
Visa says some 50,000 merchants--including McDonald's and 7-Eleven outlets--in cities such as Atlanta, New York, and Philadelphia already have NFC readers. What's missing are the phones--handsets with embedded NFC chips are not in mass distribution, and the Visa application only exists for Java phones at the moment--and support from the banks that issue Visa cards. Visa says they are waiting for the phones and merchants to reach a critical mass.
MasterCard, meanwhile, is also engaged in various trials and pilots--in Korea, Taiwan, and the U.S.--of its own NFC-based system, called PayPass. The company is also trying out technology that would enable international money transfers between individuals.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
As emerging technologies evolve they often find an initial niche in highly specialized scenarios, or in specific industry verticals, before expanding to wider areas of applicability. Within these initial niches, the early adopters can be anything from digital enthusiasts to fashionistas, or they can be folks simply using the technology because it serves a specific need extremely well. (free registration required) more