YouTube to offer video for mobile users
Company to launch Web site with mobile partners
Computerworld - YouTube said it will launch a mobile Web site to allow its mobile partners to integrate YouTube videos into their offerings.
A YouTube spokeswoman yesterday called the move "another step forward in achieving our mobile strategy of delivering entertaining videos to users whenever they want and wherever they go. People want to be entertained in a way that fits their individual lifestyles, so offering videos to mobile users is a natural evolution for YouTube," the spokeswoman said.
She made the comments in an e-mail to Computerworld and did not specify when the mobile Web site will be launched or many other details. Several blogs have said the Web site will appear in June, when a Verizon Wireless V Cast exclusive contract expires.
However, the spokeswoman did not comment on discontinuing a contract with Verizon. "Our partnerships with Verizon Wireless in the U.S., and Vodafone and Nokia overseas, are the first of many and demonstrate our continued success in developing strong relationships with leading companies," she wrote in the e-mail.
She could not be reached for further details and declined to comment on speculation that YouTube might be developing a mobile client, which some have called "Switch."
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!