Sen. McCain's MySpace page commandeered for a 'prank'
Co-founder of online news site claims responsibility for 'statement' on gay marriage
Visitors to Sen. John McCain's MySpace page were likely surprised today by a statement that the senator has reversed his position on gay marriage and "come out in full support of gay marriage … particularly marriage between passionate females." Most won't be surprised that the statement was apparently posted as a prank.
The co-founder of an online news site, who said he designed the MySpace template used for McCain's page, claimed responsibility for changing the site. Mike Davidson, co-founder of Newsvine, said on his Web site that he commandeered the MySpace page because McCain's office used a design template of his without providing him credit. Davidson also said his imagery was used on the page and his server is used to serve up McCain's MySpace images.
The altered page was on MySpace from about noon to 1 p.m. EDT.
Arizona Sen. JohnMcCain's MySpace Web site was hacked with the addition of an "announcement" beneath his picture. This screen shot was taken this morning; the site has been corrected. (Click image for larger view)
"I think the idea of politicians setting up MySpace pages and pretending to actually use them is a bit disingenuous, so I figured it was time to play a little prank," Davidson noted on the Newsvine site.
Because McCain's office was using Davidson's template he was able to replace a sample image - being used by McCain's page - with the one with the statement on gay marriage.
"So, the only thing necessary to effectively commandeer McCain's page with my own messaging was to simply replace my own sample image on my server with a newly created sample on my server," Davidson noted. "No server but my own was touched and no laws were broken. The immaculate hack."
Davidson said in an interview that many people use his template without crediting him and that he was more peeved about McCain’s office pulling images from his server. “Every time somebody loads his MySpace page it costs me bandwidth,” he said. “This was not something that I wanted to do to be malicious. It was more let’s play a little joke on him. I am not anti-McCain. I wish him the best in 2008.”
A spokesperson for McCain's campaign said that the organization still was trying to figure out what had happened.
"I don't know all the details yet," the spokesperson said.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Alert Logic for PCI DSS Compliance To achieve PCI DSS compliance, you must identify and remediate all critical vulnerabilities detected during PCI scans. Threat Manager streamlines this process by...
- Accelerating Network Convergence in Virtualized and Cloud Data Centers Adopting a converged networking strategy enables organizations to traffic server and storage I/O workloads on consolidated data throughput channels. Intelligent software helps optimize...
- How 10GbE Network is the Backbone of the Virtual Data Center The shift to a virtual data center has put tremendous strain on legacy networks; driving the need for more speed, lower latency, more...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts