IDG News Service - Ian Murdock, the chief technology officer of the Linux Foundation and the creator of the Debian Linux distribution, today began his new job as chief operating platforms officer at Sun Microsystems Inc.
Murdock made the announcement on his blog.
"It is with regrets that I leave the Linux Foundation, but if you haven't figured out already, Sun is a company I've always loved," Murdock wrote.
Murdock said his duties as chief operating platforms officer are as yet undefined, but Simon Phipps, the chief open-source officer at Sun, wrote on his blog SunMink that Murdock will be "responsible for building a new strategy to evolve both Sun's Solaris and GNU/Linux strategies."
Sun has embraced open source in recent years, after being hit hard by the technology downturn, which had hurt its proprietary Solaris operating system and Sparc platform family. Sun recently open-sourced Solaris and its Java code for writing software applications. It also installs other open-source Linux operating systems and software applications in addition to other brands of processors on its servers and other hardware.
"The last several years have been hard for Sun, but the corner has been turned," Murdock wrote. "Now, I'm going to be a part of it."
He was not available for an interview.
Murdock developed the Debian Linux distribution in 1992.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Linux and Unix White Papers | Webcasts