Brief: Sun unveils beta of open source application server
The new features in GlassFish areaimed at enterprises
Computerworld - Sun Microsystems today unveiled the beta version of its open-source application server software aimed at enterprise users.
GlassFish V2, the second major version of Sun's open-source Java EE5 application server, adds enterprise features from Sun's Java System Application Server Enterprise Edition including clustering, administration, Web services interoperability and load balancing. Ken Drachnik, community and marketing manager at Sun, said that the first version of the application server, which was released in May, was primarily focused at developers.
With this new version those developers now have a way to "deploy this applications on a massive scale," he said. "We're seeing uptake within the commercial world picking up GlassFish as their primary application server," he added.
Sun also released its Sun Web Developer Pack, a toolkit for developers to build rich Internet applications. The Sun Web Developer Pack simplifies access to multiple open-source technologies for creating rich Internet-based applications, REST Web services and RSS feeds more rapidly, according to Sun.
The pack will be bundled into the Sun Java Application Platform SDK update 3 preview, which includes the GlassFish V2 Beta and is available for download today. Sun announced the GlassFish project in 2005.
Read more about NOSes and Server Software in Computerworld's NOSes and Server Software Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...