GoDaddy hit with denial-of-service attack
The attacks intermittently disrupted services including hosting and e-mail
IDG News Service -
Domain registrar and hosting company The Go Daddy Group Inc. was hit with "significant and sustained" distributed denial-of-service attacks Sunday, the company said.
The attacks caused four to five hours of intermittent disruptions to services, including hosting and e-mail, said Neil Warner, GoDaddy.com's chief information security officer, in an e-mail forwarded by the company's public relations department. The services were back by later in the day.
The problems were not caused by GoDaddy's response to the U.S. early switch to daylight-saving time (DST), Warner said. On Friday, one customer expressed concerns that GoDaddy would not be ready for the switch Sunday after the company's technical support team told him it didn't need to install DST patches because its servers are in Arizona, which does not observe DST.
"With regard to DST, GoDaddy has been engaged in preparation and patching and worked closely with our vendors for some time leading up to the DST change," Warner said in his e-mail, reiterating a statement he made on Friday, after the IDG News Service asked the company about the customer's concern.
GoDaddy has made "significant" investments to protect against attacks, he added. Its security teams will analyze the attacks to "identify additional defense mechanisms that can be used," Warner said.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization WAN optimization has evolved into a complete system that optimizes traffic across a broad range of most popular applications while providing deep visibility...
- SharePlan Security SharePlan is a continuous, secure, enterprise-ready file sync and share platform that facilitates smart, real-time collaboration across all devices.
- Three Ways Your DNS Can Impact DDoS Attacks Domain Name System (DNS) plays a big role in consumers' day-to-day Internet usage and is a critical factor when it comes to distributed...
- Online Video and Web Traffic: Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games Over 25 leading global broadcasters worked with Akamai to deliver the action, excitement and inspiration of Sochi because they understand online viewers expect...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts