GoDaddy hit with denial-of-service attack
The attacks intermittently disrupted services including hosting and e-mail
IDG News Service -
Domain registrar and hosting company The Go Daddy Group Inc. was hit with "significant and sustained" distributed denial-of-service attacks Sunday, the company said.
The attacks caused four to five hours of intermittent disruptions to services, including hosting and e-mail, said Neil Warner, GoDaddy.com's chief information security officer, in an e-mail forwarded by the company's public relations department. The services were back by later in the day.
The problems were not caused by GoDaddy's response to the U.S. early switch to daylight-saving time (DST), Warner said. On Friday, one customer expressed concerns that GoDaddy would not be ready for the switch Sunday after the company's technical support team told him it didn't need to install DST patches because its servers are in Arizona, which does not observe DST.
"With regard to DST, GoDaddy has been engaged in preparation and patching and worked closely with our vendors for some time leading up to the DST change," Warner said in his e-mail, reiterating a statement he made on Friday, after the IDG News Service asked the company about the customer's concern.
GoDaddy has made "significant" investments to protect against attacks, he added. Its security teams will analyze the attacks to "identify additional defense mechanisms that can be used," Warner said.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts