McAfee maps risky Web domains
Russia and Romania are the countries with domains most likely to host 'drive-by' exploits
Computerworld - A map unveiled today by McAfee Inc. and based on data from its SiteAdvisor service paints Russia and Romania deep red as the countries whose domains are most likely to host "drive-by" exploits.
McAfee SiteAdvisor, a free-of-charge plug-in for Internet Explorer and Firefox, rates sites on several criteria, including dangerous downloads, spam tendencies and hosted exploits. It then posts green, yellow and red icons on search results obtained from Google, Yahoo or MSN.
McAfee applied the results of its site scanning to come up with the Flash-based map, which will be updated monthly.
"When it comes to safety, it turns out that the Web is no different than the physical world. There are safe neighborhoods and safe Web domains, and then there are places no one should ever visit," said Mark Maxwell, a McAfee senior product manager, in a statement.
Of the major top-level country domains, 5.6% of the sites in Romania (.ro) and 4.5% of those for Russia (.ru) were among the riskiest, said McAfee. The two nations also placed second and third, respectively, in the percentage of their country domains that host malicious code.
The world's riskiest country domain was .tk, for Tokelau, a three-atoll group of islands in the South Pacific formerly known as the Union Islands. More than 10% of the .tk domains are pegged as dangerous, and it leads all others in the percentage of sites that harbor exploits.
Of all the generic domains -- .biz, .com, .edu, .gov, .net, .org and .info -- the last is easily the riskiest to visit, said McAfee. Approximately 7.5% of .info sites are rated as dangerous. In comparison, .com comes in at 5.5% and .net at 4.4%. The .edu and .gov domains are the safest, with 0.3% and 0%, respectively, of sites seen as risky.
Low- or no-cost domain registration and minimal domain oversight appear to drive at least some of the higher levels of risk found at some top-level domains, said McAfee. One reason that the .biz domain may be preferred by spammers, the security vendor said, is that those domains are available immediately; most others impose a 24-hour waiting period. According to the SiteAdvisor data, 13.2% of .biz domains will send large numbers of unsolicited e-mails to users who register at its sites.
The five safest country domains to visit are Finland (0.10%), Ireland (0.11%), Norway (0.16%), Iceland (0.19%) and Sweden (0.21%).
The .us domain is ranked 20th overall, with a risky-site percentage of 2.1%. The U.S.'s country domain, however, is used much less in the U.S. than the riskier, generic .com domain.
Because of its popularity, the .com domain accounts for an overwhelming majority of all click-on sites marked with red or yellow icons by SiteAdvisor. Last month, 86.6% of all risky clicks were to .com sites.
Read more about Networking in Computerworld's Networking Topic Center.
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization Read this white paper to learn how far WAN optimization has come, and how to make this most of your investments by using...
- IDC ROI Infographic Trends such as evolving communication patterns, connection types, applications and bandwidth can have an impact on enterprise organizations. Learn how IT organizations can...
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Live Webcast IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!