Microsoft: Relax, no patches next week
It's the first time in 18 months Microsoft hasn't issued a Patch Tuesday security update
Computerworld - Microsoft will skip next week's usual Patch Tuesday because it has no fixes for users, the company announced today.
In its monthly advance notification bulletin posted earlier today, Microsoft simply said, "No new Microsoft Security Bulletins will be released on March 13, 2007."
It marks the first time in 18 months that Microsoft has not issued at least one security update in a scheduled patch rollout. Since January 2003, only three months have been sans security fixes.
Although no software will be patched this month, that doesn't mean Microsoft has nothing to do. According to security organizations, there are numerous problems still unfixed. eEye Digital Security's Zero-Day Tracker, for example, shows five vulnerabilities that have been reported to Microsoft but not patched. The SANS Institute's Internet Storm Center, meanwhile, lists nine bugs on its most recent The missing Microsoft patches chart.
However, Microsoft said it will issue several unspecified nonsecurity, high-priority updates.
Last month, Microsoft released 12 updates that fixed 20 vulnerabilities; in January, it issued four security bulletins and patched 10 bugs.
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Alert Logic for PCI DSS Compliance To achieve PCI DSS compliance, you must identify and remediate all critical vulnerabilities detected during PCI scans. Threat Manager streamlines this process by...
- Cybersecurity Imperatives Reinvent Your Network Security With Palo Alto Networks The Rise of CyberSecurity
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts