Microsoft: Relax, no patches next week
It's the first time in 18 months Microsoft hasn't issued a Patch Tuesday security update
Computerworld - Microsoft will skip next week's usual Patch Tuesday because it has no fixes for users, the company announced today.
In its monthly advance notification bulletin posted earlier today, Microsoft simply said, "No new Microsoft Security Bulletins will be released on March 13, 2007."
It marks the first time in 18 months that Microsoft has not issued at least one security update in a scheduled patch rollout. Since January 2003, only three months have been sans security fixes.
Although no software will be patched this month, that doesn't mean Microsoft has nothing to do. According to security organizations, there are numerous problems still unfixed. eEye Digital Security's Zero-Day Tracker, for example, shows five vulnerabilities that have been reported to Microsoft but not patched. The SANS Institute's Internet Storm Center, meanwhile, lists nine bugs on its most recent The missing Microsoft patches chart.
However, Microsoft said it will issue several unspecified nonsecurity, high-priority updates.
Last month, Microsoft released 12 updates that fixed 20 vulnerabilities; in January, it issued four security bulletins and patched 10 bugs.
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- EndPoint Interactive eGuide In this eGuide, Network World, Computerworld, and CIO examine two endpoint trends - BYOD and collaboration - and offer tips and advice on...
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- Cybersecurity Imperatives: Reinvent your Network Security The Rise of CyberSecurity
- Surescripts Case Study- Securing Keys and Certificates Surescripts implemented Venafi's Trust Protection Platform™ to secure digital keys and certificates, ensure the privacy and confidentiality of electronic clinical information for its...
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities.
- Deep Dive into Advanced Networking and Security with Hybrid Cloud Security and networking are among the top concerns when moving workloads to the cloud. VMware vCloud® Hybrid Service™ enables you to extend your... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!