Microsoft: Relax, no patches next week
It's the first time in 18 months Microsoft hasn't issued a Patch Tuesday security update
Computerworld - Microsoft will skip next week's usual Patch Tuesday because it has no fixes for users, the company announced today.
In its monthly advance notification bulletin posted earlier today, Microsoft simply said, "No new Microsoft Security Bulletins will be released on March 13, 2007."
It marks the first time in 18 months that Microsoft has not issued at least one security update in a scheduled patch rollout. Since January 2003, only three months have been sans security fixes.
Although no software will be patched this month, that doesn't mean Microsoft has nothing to do. According to security organizations, there are numerous problems still unfixed. eEye Digital Security's Zero-Day Tracker, for example, shows five vulnerabilities that have been reported to Microsoft but not patched. The SANS Institute's Internet Storm Center, meanwhile, lists nine bugs on its most recent The missing Microsoft patches chart.
However, Microsoft said it will issue several unspecified nonsecurity, high-priority updates.
Last month, Microsoft released 12 updates that fixed 20 vulnerabilities; in January, it issued four security bulletins and patched 10 bugs.
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- PCI 3.0 Compliance In this white paper, learn how PCI-DSS 3.0 effects how you deploy and maintain PCI compliant networks using CradlePoint devices.
- Mitigating Security Risks at the Networks Edge This white paper provides strategies and best practices for distributed enterprises to protect their networks against vulnerabilities, threats, and malicious attacks.
- 5 Strategies for Modern Data Protection Read the five strategies for modern data protection that will not only help solve your current data management challenges but also ensure that...
- 5 Ways Dropbox for Business Keeps Your Data Protected Protecting your data isn't a feature on a checklist, something to be tacked on as an afterthought. Download here to find out how...
- Business-driven data protection Setting up data protection infrastructures with your organizations' core mission or business in mind is key. In this webinar, the ARCserve team will...
- On-Demand Webinar: Mind the Gap! Watch the webinar featuring Bob Janssen, CTO and Co-Founder of RES Software, to start building a solid foundation for business and IT to... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!