IDG News Service - A new U.K. think tank launched on Monday will analyze how open-source software can be used in government and the private sector.
The National Open Centre in Birmingham, England, will comprise working groups that will study issues around open source, including the use of standards and procurement guidelines, said Ed Downs, of the National Computing Centre Ltd., a professional IT membership organization in Manchester, England.
Unlike other European countries, the U.K. lacked an organization dedicated to studying open-source software, he said.
"If open source and open standards can make a contribution, that's what we want to do," Downs said.
Many of the innovations on the Internet would not have been possible without open-source software, such as the Apache Web server, said Scott Thompson, one of the founders of the National Open Centre. Companies such as Google Inc. and Yahoo Inc. use open source to drive down their software costs, he said.
Open source helps avoid traps such as vendor lock-in and higher costs associated with proprietary software, he said.
But using open source is fraught with risks as well as opportunities. Many public sector agencies are ignorant about open source, and misguided procurement policies have complicated open-source implementations, said John Pugh, a member of Parliament.
Some open-source companies have also struggled in selling their products and services, while their continued viability has been sometimes questionable, Pugh said.
The politics around open-source software are bitter, he said.
"Open source has enemies, and its enemies are very, very close to government," Pugh said.
Microsoft Corp. believes organizations don't care whether their software is open source or proprietary as long as it's the best product, said Jerry Fishenden, the company's U.K. national technology officer, who attended the launch.
About 5% of total IT spending in the U.K. is actually on the software itself, with the rest comprised of consulting fees, system integration costs and more, Fishenden said. Those costs are where organizations could make significant savings, he said.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts