Better Business Bureau warns of phishing scam
The scam urges users to download a file that may be a computer virus
Computerworld - The Better Business Bureau is warning of a spoofing scam that uses its name and a phony e-mail that urges recipients to click a hyperlink that could download a computer virus.
The BBB system, which has 129 branches, said that a company from Kennesaw, Ga., had its computer system hacked Monday night and that the company's computers were generating thousands of counterfeit messages to businesses and consumers, purporting to be a complaint filed with the BBB against the recipient.
The incident was first reported to the BBB branch that serves the Columbus, Ga., area by one of its members, according to the alert. The spoofed e-mails were sent to thousands of businesses in the U.S. and Canada.
According to the BBB, the e-mail has a false return address of firstname.lastname@example.org and a phishing hyperlink citing a BBB complaint case number, such as "DOCUMENTS FOR CASE #263621205." But the links direct users to a fake Web site that asks users to download documents related to the complaint. The BBB said the download is an executable file that could be a computer virus. The phishing e-mail return address of email@example.com does not exist, the BBB said in the alert.
An example of the false e-mail message is also provided on the BBB Web site.
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- Radicati: Cloud Business Email - Market Quadrant 2013 Google was named the top cloud business email provider in a recent report by research firm Radicati. Out of 14 key players, Google...
- Tablets in the Enterprise: A Checklist for Successful Deployment How can you enterprise manage and secure tablets in order to protect corporate data while providing access to the information and applications employees...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise File Sync & Share Checklist File sync and share has changed the way people work and collaborate in today's tech-savvy world. Gone are the email roadblocks, clunky FTP...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Security White Papers | Webcasts