Dell laptop fire destroys Maine home
It was sitting on a sofa recharging when the blaze began
Computerworld - A fire that destroyed a single-family home in Biddeford, Maine, last week has been blamed on a Dell laptop that was plugged in and re-charging while sitting on a living room couch.
Christopher Stanford, a state fire marshal investigator, said the house fire at 117 Granite St. in Biddeford last Monday began about 8:30 a.m. after the owners used the computer, then left it plugged in to charge while they went to work. The Dell Inspiron 1200 apparently "had something happen with the cord or the power unit on the cord," Stanford said, because the damage was most severe where the laptop and cord were located in the house.
"That was the only thing we had in terms of a heat source," Stanford said. Fire officials ruled out other potential causes or arson.
"The couch was totally burned out, and the laptop was still sitting on what remained of the sofa" when Stanford conducted his investigation. No one was home at the time of the fire. The single-family detached house, which was about 130 years old, was a total loss with damage estimated at more than $100,000, Stanford said.
It was the second house fire caused by a laptop in the area since last summer, when a Compaq laptop erupted in flames and destroyed another home, he said.
A spokesperson for Dell Inc. in Austin could not be reached for comment. The owners of the home also could not be reached.
The laptop was reportedly not among the computers recalled last year for battery problems that could cause overheating and fires.
Related Computerworld Discussion:
- IT Blogwatch: Sony tells of Dell cell hell (and pix o' the day)
- Robert L. Mitchell: Battery conspiracy: Is the Dell recall fiasco a sign of a bigger problem?
- Robert L. Mitchell: What if they threw a recall and no one came?
- Shark Bait: It's all about the power
Read more about Laptops in Computerworld's Laptops Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Laptops White Papers | Webcasts