Dell enters rugged notebook market
'All-terrain' laptop designed to handle rough use, including vibration, humidity and dust
Dell Inc. launched its first semirugged notebook PC and plans to compete with Hewlett-Packard Co. and Panasonic for customers who need a computer that can cope with abusive vibration, humidity, altitude and dust.
Dell began selling its Latitude ATG D620 notebook today as an "all-terrain grade" product that could live up to rough use by construction workers, military and police officers, or ambulance and firetruck drivers.
The computer has a shock-mounted, 80GB hard drive surrounded by rubber so it can protect users' data if dropped off a table. Other rugged features include a spill-resistant keyboard, port covers and an extrabright 14.1-in. LCD.
Dell said it hopes that customers will choose the ATG because of its Core 2 Duo processor from Intel Corp. and that IT managers will choose the notebook because it shares common parts with the Latitude D620, said Gregory Dvorak, product manager for Dell's Latitude PCs. Using shared components makes an IT technician's job easier, he said. Both versions of the D620 can share spare parts, including the docking station, batteries, power adapters, optical drives, BIOS and driver software, wireless LAN and integrated mobile broadband.
One drawback to the design is that the ATG's ultrabright LCD uses extra battery power. In order to be legible in daylight, the screen uses 500 nits of brightness, far above the 200 nits of a typical corporate notebook, Dvorak said. Each nit equals one candela per square meter.
"If you run it at full brightness, there will be an impact on battery life. That's a trade-off to meeting that customer requirement," Dvorak said. Aside from turning down the brightness, users can upgrade from a six-cell battery to a nine-cell battery, add a secondary battery in the media slot, or mount the notebook on a vehicle dashboard and plug it into auxiliary power.
The Latitude ATG D620 has a price tag of $2,499.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts