Cingular details steep price for Apple's iPhone
Company will require a two-year data and voice contract
Computerworld - While the high initial price of the new iPhone drew attention after it was officially introduced Tuesday, a Cingular executive said today that the purchase price is only the first part of the expense users will face.
Specifically, Glen Lurie, Cingular's president of national distribution, said at a press conference at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas that the cellular operator will require a two-year contract before users can acquire the phone. The contract would be for voice and data service, although he said plan requirements for the device have not yet been finalized.
Apple said the long-awaited device would cost $499 for a 4GB version and $599 for an 8GB version.
When asked if he thought the price was high, Lurie acknowledged that, "It is for high-end customers, yes. But look at how many devices we carry -- most of us carry two or three. What's the cost of all those devices?"
Lurie said the device will be highly desirable and, because of that, the cellular operator expects the iPhone, which will be released in June, to increase the number of Cingular subscribers. Cingular is the largest U.S. cellular operator with about 58 million subscribers.
"If a customer of another operator wants the device, they can buy it and become a Cingular subscriber," Lurie said. "We fully expect this to grow our business."
While Cingular will set subscriber requirements, Lurie added that Apple set the price.
"It's an iPod, so Apple sets the price," Lurie said. But I'm not concerned with the price." Even at that price, Apple CEO Steve Jobs predicted Tuesday that it will sell 10 million units by the end of 2008.
Cingular's multiyear exclusive deal for Apple's iPhone was so big that it required approval by the company's board, but, in addition to setting the price for the unit, Apple is making the decisions about such details as who will sell the device and what software is included, Lurie said.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts