Wal-Mart pushing data synchronization network
It wants its RFID-enabled suppliers to join up
Computerworld - Wal-Mart Stores Inc. is looking to improve data accuracy in its far-flung supply chain by using the fledgling Global Data Synchronization Network. To that end, the retailer set a Jan. 1 deadline for its RFID-enabled suppliers to start using the Web-based GDSN technology so they can more quickly exchange timely and accurate supply chain data.
GDSN, supported by major companies and industry groups worldwide, relies on certified databases containing product information that can be shared among companies and their partners.
In October, Wal-Mart sent out a letter to its suppliers urging them to join with a GDSN data pool by the January deadline. That, according to the directive, was only a first step: The retailer wants its suppliers to clean up their data as well.
Wal-Mart, in its letter, said that the GDSN is no longer a "bleeding edge" technology but is "now a mature solution providing tangible benefits for retailers and suppliers." Among the benefits expected are improved purchase order accuracy, fewer administrative errors, better supplies of stock and greater speed in getting product onto the shelves.
Wal-Mart last month confirmed that it had issued the letter, but it has declined to offer any additional information on the program or on how many of its suppliers are currently participating.
"We see GDSN as a key strategy for exchanging item information between suppliers and retailers," a Wal-Mart spokesman said via an e-mail statement. "Accurate, timely item information drives efficiencies for both, as well as reducing costs in the supply chain. As noted in the letter, Wal-Mart has been engaged in GDSN for several years. We're ramping up the program to encourage more suppliers to join."
Read more about ERP in Computerworld's ERP Topic Center.
- Whitepaper: The Continuous Innovation Advantage of SaaS This report defines the next generation system of record, outlining the changes and challenges with current technology and how continuous innovation has become...
- Forrester Report: The ROI of Software as a Service Read Forrester's review of 11 vendors in SaaS enterprise resource planning (ERP), customer relationship management (CRM), and supply chain management (SCM).
- Whitepaper: Redefining Enterprise Software Whitepaper In this whitepaper you will learn what changes are impacting business and human capital management today and how the HR department and its...
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Live Webcast How to serve up a Grand Slam with a scalable IT Infrastructure for cloud, big data and advanced analytics Register today to attend this webcast, and see examples of how The U.S. Tennis Association, Wimbledon and U.S. Golf Association are using the...
- Live Webcast Security Vulnerabilities Associated With Having Local Administrator Privileges Viewfinity will demonstrate how removing admin rights and granularly managing privileges at the application level reduces the attack surface.
- Live Webcast IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All ERP White Papers | Webcasts